trouble sealing oil pan?

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
Anyone have any problems sealing the rear of the oil pan on a 440? I went through three different sets of gaskets two different rubber ones and one set of cork. I got a new windage tray. Oil pan got a dent in back of it during one of my 5 installs and we banged on the lips to make sure they where flat and took ball peen hammer to the holes. Still leaks in the same spot every time. 2-3 inches in on the back side on both sides.

I would say that either the windage tray or the pan is still not perfectly flat. I've never had a problem with any BB pan leaking. Its usually coming from the rear seal and not the pan. Maybe something to look into

Check to make sure that there is nothing from letting it seat on the engine.

Have you tried putting extra sealer in the area where it's leaking?

Or as lance said, check for cracks or rear main seal leaks...

Check to make sure that there is nothing from letting it seat on the engine.

Have you tried putting extra sealer in the area where it's leaking?

Or as lance said, check for cracks or rear main seal leaks...

ive also seen where the pick up tube is bottoming out on the pan and not letting it completely sit down

I replaced windage tray last time and flatted pan out pretty good with hammer last time to. I put ton of rtv on it where I have to clean it off because it starts to run down. oil pick up is in the middle why would it make just the rear leak? Its only pin holes every time. guess I will try to pan and replace rear seal

Sounds like the side seals on the rear main seal retainer to me. Make sure they are in all the way. If not they will leak. Also remember that the two bolts that seal the pan to the retainer can't be too long or they will either bottom out or crack the retainer.

-
Back