trouble with driverside strut/torsion bar

-

johnrobbsmusic

Reaction score
Trying to put the front strut in a 67 barracuda on the drivers side. it was out of the car when I started but I can't get the tortion bar to slide back. the otherside went back easily but I just can't get this one to break loose in the back.

any suggestions for getting either the torsion bar to move back or the strut in? I've got the hex part of the bar in the back (where it goes through the frame) soaking in aero kroil, but still can't get it to budge.

Thanks,
John

After making sure the torsion bar retaining clip has been removed and tensioner is backed out, undo the lower control arm nut and carefully pry lower arm back. it will push torsion bar back with it and provide you the room needed to install the strut.

I tried that, I couldn't get it to push it back far enough, and yes, the retainer clip is out

If the front end is up high it may be putting enough load on the bar to where it wont move. I have found that if the car is resting just above its normal ride height, the bars will come out with little effort. Do the prybar trick to the LCA. Should pop right out.

Make sure there is no tension on the bar, you should be able to jiggle the adjuster around in the lower control arm. sometimes you have to remove the bump stop under the upper control arm to get the suspension to droop down far enough to unload the bar. If the bar is just stuck or rusted in the socket a few good taps on the socket and so penetrating oil should loosen it up.

finally got it out yesterday w/a pickle fork and airhammer, got all the front suspension put in and am moving on to brakes, thanks for the help guys :)

You got what out with a picklefork? Torsion bar?

If you marred the finish of the torsion bar, you need to get a new one because it will snap,

Nathan launched hard, got it hooked up pretty good but the problem is the front end rose and won't go down. whats the best guess?

-
Back