truck mounted battery Q's

-

sweatybetty

Reaction score
how do you guys with batteries in the trunk run your wiring? + right to the starter and - to the frame at the rear of the car?
what size cable for the pos side?
how about routing, any pics?
lastly, anyone using the red top optima?
thanks

I ran the positive cable right to the starter and I ran the ground right to the chassis, but if you do, you have to run an equal sized cable from the chassis to the block for a ground. I have the yellow optima in my drag car. I have it in Moroso box with a vent tube going out thru the trunk floor. You can't be to careful with hydrogen gas. I have seen many battery explosions and they are not for the faint at heart. I used 2/0 welding cable for the cable.

Chuck

I ran the positive cable right to the starter and I ran the ground right to the chassis, but if you do, you have to run an equal sized cable from the chassis to the block for a ground. I have the yellow optima in my drag car. I have it in Moroso box with a vent tube going out thru the trunk floor. You can't be to careful with hydrogen gas. I have seen many battery explosions and they are not for the faint at heart. I used 2/0 welding cable for the cable.

Chuck

:withstup: Thats almost exactly how I do it. Close enough to not change anything. I really like that he said he used welding cable. It has a real high strand count cable which results in a low resistance cable. Great stuff.

i ran mine to the starter,,i used stranded machine wire #2 gauge if i remember correctly,,,got it from a big printing press we installed where i worked at that time,,,you can buy a complete kit from mopar,,summit,, jegs,,
battery box included,,,,

When you attach your ground in the trunk, make sure to sand away the paint so you are grounding to a clean metal surface. Do the same on the firewall for the engine ground strap.

I bought the kit from Summit. Came with all you will need.
Ran the pos. along the frame connector up to the orignal wiring.
I used 3/8 threaded rod to mount it to the floor. Jamb nut it on
both sides of the floor and use a good flat bar on top of the
battery to hold it down.

are you guys mounting the battery on the pass side, drivers side or does it really matter?

all optima batteries are dry cell batteries they're like a flashlight battery no fumes. They can be used upside down

-
Back