Truck shopping

-
And it's always a good idea to stay away from first production run vehicles

I agree, and I'm kind of skeptical about the Ford eco boost engines. The dealer was telling me about how great they are, and from what I've read, they seem to be pretty good. However, I'm not one to trade trucks every 4-5 years, so I asked him what it would cost to repair those turbo's out of warranty. His reply was " a lot ". I'll stick with the proven 5.0 or Hemi Ram.

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be a Ram. I've been to two different Ford dealers, and a comparable equipped Ford, is going to run between 3&4 thousand $$$$'s more. Looking at sites such as Edmonds, the Ram is the highest rated, followed by Ford, and Chevy/GMC, at the bottom of the big 3.

you will love your choice. I just back from mission trip to Panama City helping with hurricane cleanup and was getting 23.4 mpg when I got home and that was driving about 5 mph above speed limit. 72,000 mi with dealer changing oil every 10,000 and never had to add oil in between. I am happy and if I needed another truck I would buy the same thing again.

Ram it is. Went to two Ford dealers, and they couldn't even come close.

Ram Truck.JPG

Just to throw it out there, I live in the rust belt and these are all still in use.

The 1975 D300 Dumptruck has just over 100,000 miles on it and it averages 14-16mpg (with 4.88 gears, a 318 and a 4 Speed)

The Orange 1984 Dodge D50 has over 600,000 miles on her and she averages about 17mpg with 4.10’s and a 727 Transmission.

The Diesel Dakota has 217,000 miles on her and she averages 28-33mpg

Costs me less to maintain the old trucks than it does to buy a new one, even combining the parts and such of all 3 over the years I’ve owned them, it is still thousands upon thousands cheaper than a new truck.

9FD2A479-D620-44E9-9B89-351DAB5A5838.jpeg

B949C04F-4180-4C7A-8E48-A73FCCB71B9E.jpeg

ADA96151-37A7-4068-AD76-5E405C38302E.jpeg

Just to throw it out there, I live in the rust belt and these are all still in use.

The 1975 D300 Dumptruck has just over 100,000 miles on it and it averages 14-16mpg (with 4.88 gears, a 318 and a 4 Speed)

The Orange 1984 Dodge D50 has over 600,000 miles on her and she averages about 17mpg with 4.10’s and a 727 Transmission.

The Diesel Dakota has 217,000 miles on her and she averages 28-33mpg

Costs me less to maintain the old trucks than it does to buy a new one, even combining the parts and such of all 3 over the years I’ve owned them, it is still thousands upon thousands cheaper than a new truck.

View attachment 1715255923

View attachment 1715255924

View attachment 1715255925

this one should be right up your alley then

(id buy it if i had somewhere to store it, id feel like mad max plowing my driveway)

1973 W300 Dodge Power Wagon Plow Dump Dually. TRADE

I'm on my 4th Tacoma.I've had 3 4 cyl. 4x4 and never put a wrench on one.Pull anything out of the ditch in 4wd lo.My new one is a V6.So far so good.
can you lock the axles in a Ford or Chev?
I'm thinking the best is probably the Tundra though

Well, as luck would have it, the dealership is about 50 miles from me. I didn't have a ride yesterday, and they were going to detail the truck, and my sister was going right past there today anyway. I get a call from the dealership this morning. We had storms go through last night, and the building my truck was in got hit by a tornado. Part of the building collapsed, but they think where the truck was, it wasn't damaged, but so for have not been able to get in to check it.

It maybe a sign not to buy the truck.

I just watched a video on line from the damage. Looks like the whole end of the building was taken out. Pretty sure I saw my truck at the other end. If so, it looks to be unscathed. Here is link to the video. About 1:18 in. Gray truck in the back.

Almost twin to my truck. Looks like you have a few more upgrades. Granite color?
Love mine, it's my DD. I got tired of working on stuff all the time. 13,000 kms and no issues.
Survives a tornado is a sign imo.
Congrats

20180701_133438.jpg

It maybe a sign not to buy the truck.
Nah, it just means it has been “pre-disastered”.

The odds of something like this ever happening again are nearly zero.

Probably wind up being the safest truck on the road!

:lol:

Almost twin to my truck. Looks like you have a few more upgrades. Granite color?
Love mine, it's my DD. I got tired of working on stuff all the time. 13,000 kms and no issues.
Survives a tornado is a sign imo.
Congrats

View attachment 1715256337

Yes, it's granite, and it has several upgrades. I got tired of working on things too. Shouldn't have to with this. 8 year/85,000 mile bumper to bumper. This dealership just took over Chrysler when the last dealership lost it. They got almost 100 vehicles, and they are really dealing to get rid of that inventory. By the way, they called this afternoon, and managed to get it out. Not a scratch on it. Just now got it home. Drives like a dream.

-
Back