Truck won't start

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 Ram 5.2L auto. 247,000k on it. I drove it to where it sits and it was running good when I shut it down. The only thing I had noticed was that it was a little had to start the last few mornings. It would whirl over for 3 to 5 seconds before it started. I attributed this to the amount of rain we have had lately.
I have replaced the cap and rotor as I figured they were getting worn and they were. Still no start.
This is what it is doing when I try to start it.
It whirls over and about every 3 seconds it will have a hiccup like the the timing is to far advanced. When I let off on the key it will fire very weakly for about 1/2 a second and sound like a sort of gasp which I think is out of the throttle body.

Anybody got any ideas? Shots in the dark? Things I can check?

Jack

Cam chain is what I'm thinking with that kind of mileage. Has it been replaced? If not, pop the cap off and turn the engine back and forth with a breaker bar and see how many degrees the crank turns before the ignition rotor turns.

I'm guessing you already checked for spark. If not, and your not getting any, check the connector for the computer. I had a friend who's computer connector went bad (wire broke at the connector). Used to get worse when it rained too.

Jumped timing, bad gas, low compression, inconsistant spark, bad wires or plugs, or a loose connection, are a few. Check the easiest first. Mike

possible crank sensor, or coil. coil is not to exspensive and easiest to replace. both are a common culprit on the mag engines

in tank fuel pump bit the dust. pumping just enough to make it sputter.

O.K here is what I have so far.
New cap and rotor.
Wires and plugs new in the fall.
Getting lots of gas by the smell of it.
Coil has outer plate on each side separated from main body of plates.

I think that will be my first replacement seeing as it appears to be needed anyway.

Lots to check tomorrow.

Jack

OldVart said:
Left connecting diode on the after-shafter? Muffler bearing? Or, your coil is fubared. :blackeye:

LOL! Don't forget to check the knuten valve. :sign6:

You should be able to pull the codes from the computer and get some idea of what is happening. If your truck is like all the other late model mopars I have had you can turn the key to the run position (not crank) and off three times and leave it on the third time. If you have an LED mileage display it should flash Pxxxx codes if it doesn't then the check engine light will flash out two digit codes. The meaning of the codes are all over the web. Also, if you can get it to an autozone they will plug into the OBD port and pull the codes that way.

Got it solved guys. Thanks for all of the suggestions. It was the coil. Installed a new one and the beast fired right up and is running like a top. Smoothest it's been in a year. LOL

Thanks again!

Jack

-
Back