Trunion Joint starting to make Noise

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since getting the dart moving again, I've been hearing some noise in the trunion joint at the front of the drive shaft. No vibration, but a little annoying.

Does anyone have a source for a A-body B&T rebuild kit?

Atlas Obsolete on e-bay seems to think they are gold-plated or something at $150+, Thats about 1/2 the cost to get the driveline changed over. Just trying to get it to keep moving until I have the 8 3/4 ready togo in, at which point, I'll have a driveline shortened/converted to a slip-shaft to U-joint flange.

Brewer's sells that stuff. The boot kit ain't too bad...maybe it just needs grease.

If it's a short term fix you need, pull it apart and lube it with some good quality grease. That will be good for a year on a paved road even without a good boot. If you're off-roading or live on a dirt/gravel road, you'll need to find a boot to fit it.

I used the 102 dust boot for my 64', this may help ???????? He might be able to turn you on to a source
Moe

http://www.oldmoparts.com/q.htm

Just curious if the 102 Dust boot a split boot? Or a single boot with clamps. Initially I was thinking of getting one of the VW Boots, but they are a split boot and would prefer a non-split boot.

Brewer's sells that stuff. The boot kit ain't too bad...maybe it just needs grease.
I saw their boot kit and their rebuild kit. $49 for a boot is a bit pricey. Andy Bernbaum's (the link above from Moe) are better priced at 1/2 of that that.

If it's a short term fix you need, pull it apart and lube it with some good quality grease. That will be good for a year on a paved road even without a good boot. If you're off-roading or live on a dirt/gravel road, you'll need to find a boot to fit it.
Was planning to pull the drive line tonight to assess the damage.

At a minimum, as you say, I'm sure some good red grease will do it some good and take some of the noise out of it. At a maximum, I may be pulling out the welder and grinder to fill in some gaps and round the balls on the pin back to round.

(I had to do something similar on the ball-stud's in the zbar about 7 years ago, because I couldnt find a vendor and one of them was pretty much a flattend on one side. Last I checked, the zbar ball studs still round and working fine.)

--Tom

I thought it was the trunion that was making the noise, but when I got under the car, it was all solid, and absolutly nothing wrong with the driveshaft. Turnin the drive shaft didnt get anything either, until I stopped the passenger wheel and the drivers wheel turned. Nasty little scraping noise was coming out of the drum.

Opened the drum, and there lies the strut-connector spring in the drum, and the strut that goes between the two shoes was a little bent and no longer in place. (The cause for the sound I was hearing).

Using the vise and a hammer, I finessed it back into the proper shape, straightened out the spring and put it back together. All is well with it now.

Thanks
--Tom

-
Back