Trunk and Quarter Extension Trim

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
My 71 Scamp has the Aluminum trim along the trunk lip and on the quarter panel extensions. I've searched a few of the restoration sites and no one seems to list it. Is it available or does anyone have a good way to clean up oxidized/pitted aluminum trim?

How bad is it Ramie? Maybe get a buffing wheel and some compounds and clean it up yourself.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago with a step by step, but I can't find it.

I "think", lol, you start by by cleaning it up with fine grit paper then buff it to a polish. There was also some tips in that thread about removing small dings and blemishes.

How bad is it Ramie? Maybe get a buffing wheel and some compounds and clean it up yourself.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago with a step by step, but I can't find it.

I "think", lol, you start by by cleaning it up with fine grit paper then buff it to a polish. There was also some tips in that thread about removing small dings and blemishes.

Bruce, in my opinion they look like crap, sorry I didnt get a pic. They are dinged up pretty good and very discolored. I read that thread you posted above and I would say mine looked to be about in the same condition as those bezels so I think it will turn out pretty well. I would had never guessed to use easy off oven cleaner!

Thank you Buddy!! I'll let you know how it turned out!

I wish I could locate the other thread, it went into detail somewhat about getting the dings/dents out before cleaning and polishing. The guy that was doing the work made them look brand new, I was amazed.

-
Back