Trunk lid moldings 68 Cuda are both the same.

-

1968340S

Reaction score
Are the upper and lower trunk lid moldings the same. Is their a difference. Seems like the support brackets are different with single holes for the upper and a double hole set for the lower.

Chris

They are definetly different, don't let anybody tell you they are the same!

How can you tell the difference. I just had my moldings restored, and finaly got them back. They both look the same. The only way that I can see any difference is that one molding has the support brackets for a single hole for my deck lid upper. The other molding is missing the support brackets. I'm lost. I thought that one molding was a little flatter then the other. But its been over 9 damm months with this guy who had my moldings and I forgot.

I believe the bottom is maybe a 1/16th or so of an inch taller. The size is mirrored in the tail lights. Call this guy and make sure he was not restoring two 68's at the same time. Mine also is single row of holes on top and two rows on bottom...

they do really look the same but they really only fit one way. the top will not fit on the bottom and visa versa. put them up to the decklid and it will be obvious.
67 upper and lower are much closer to identical, you can get away with two uppers or two lowers sort of.

Here's how I tell the difference between top and bottom moldings......

The bottom molding has a black accent line where my pen is pointing and that particular area has a "channel" where the accent line is located.

The top molding has the accent line laying flat against the center portion of the molding and has no "channel".

Looking at the profiles from the end, you can see the difference in the shape where the bottom piece has the "channel" where the black accent line is.

Looks like some of Dana's work there Rick!!!

Hey Chris, don't feel bad. My deck lid trim took almost a year and half to get restored but it was DEFINITELY worth the wait.

Actually, the trim in the pics are our stainless steel reproduction pieces.

After I viewed this thread, I snapped a couple quick pics of them to help answer this question. It is kinda hard to tell the two apart unless you know exactly what to look for.

Actually, the trim in the pics are our stainless steel reproduction pieces.

After I viewed this thread, I snapped a couple quick pics of them to help answer this question. It is kinda hard to tell the two apart unless you know exactly what to look for.

Interesting....I see that the repro pieces are much more angular than the OEM trim.

-
Back