trunk lid torsion bar holder problem

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope I posted this in the right section. I seem to have a rather unique problem with the driver's side trunk lid torsion bar mount, where the torsion bar sits after it is installed. When I got the car I saw this peice was folded out. I hammered it back into place and it looked good. I installed the torsion bar and it worked great and held the lid up....for about 5 test opening and closing of the trunk lid. It then popped out. I looked at it, and it seems to fold the peice out again. It is very weak from being folded back and forth. I am trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I posted a picture to further illustrate what I am dealing with. The only thing I can thing of is to weld on a little reinforcement plate? Any other ideas? Thanks

torsionbarmount.jpg

I had the same, or similar problem.
I cut a piece of 1" wide strap iron, several inches long (sorry didn't have time to measure it). I cut a groove in the end for the torsion bar to sit in and push against. I bolted it in.
I attached pics so you could get the idea. Never mind the twisted looking sheet metal thing at the top, that was some previous owners attempt at a fix but is not nearly strong enough.

IMG_20170322_112527147.jpg

IMG_20170322_112628285.jpg

I was able to hammer mine somewhat back to shape and cut a strip of sheet metal,fold it over the rod and used a self tapping screw to secure it to the bracket. It's holding so far. I can't tell how bad yours is by the pic to see if you can do the same.

-
Back