TRunk light switch

-

exoJL

Reaction score
Can't seem to find a trunk light switch for a 1974 Plymouth Scamp. This switch should also work for Dodge Dart 1970-72 and Scamp 71-73. Rockauto.com does not have it, however they do have the door jamb-switch which appears to be similar to the trunk switch,...is it not? Can I make the door jamb switch work? 1973 switch should be the same.

Last edited:
My cuda didn't have a trunk light at all. Bought a electric trunk latch for a Chrysler New Yorker. It has the light switch made into the latch. Installed some lights in the trunk... works great. So when the trunk is open the light is on. Also allows the ability to pop the trunk from the drivers seat.... no more key needed.
I pop the trunk at least six or seven times.... it's that cool... justkidding... lol

It has a 90 degree plug but similar to a door switch. 67 and above should all be the same.

My cuda didn't have a trunk light at all. Bought a electric trunk latch for a Chrysler New Yorker. It has the light switch made into the latch. Installed some lights in the trunk... works great. So when the trunk is open the light is on. Also allows the ability to pop the trunk from the drivers seat.... no more key needed.
I pop the trunk at least six or seven times.... it's that cool... justkidding... lol
Cool, I like this, but the Chrysler New Yorkers were always above Plymouths with luxury, and especially in regards to this. How ever, since you are saying this is for a cuda...and Chrysler only referred to the "cuda" or "Hemi Cuda" abbreviated, for the 426CI Hemi, are you actually referring to the Barracuda? Not the "Cuda?" Also which year are you refering to as Cuda, or Barracuda. That's nice you can pop the trunk from your handicap seat (drivers seat) it's a luxury, and I really don't need the trunk light because I can see in the dark just fine, but it's a weekend project I can afford to waste an hour or two, so if the switch is actually in production, it'd be nice to know where to buy one.

I think functionally the door jamb switch will work. The wire will hang down a little, is all.

On a related topic, for a weird example of a Mopar engineering quirk, look in the trunks of 67-69 Barracuda fastbacks. You will notice that some have a single latch for the fold-down panel, and others have two latches. The center latch catches where the trunk lamp would normally fit, so single latch cars have the lamp location offset to the side (even on cars with no trunk lamp). But there is a completely different piece of sheet metal welded into the body above the trunk opening for the cars with two catches, with the lamp location in the middle (whether it has a lamp installed or not). What's weird is that the one- or two-catch panel isn't a year-related change (either one could be on any year), and it doesn't correspond necessarily to light package or no light package, either. Yet they had to tag that as it went down the line so the right body would get the right panel.

Cool, I like this, but the Chrysler New Yorkers were always above Plymouths with luxury, and especially in regards to this. How ever, since you are saying this is for a cuda...and Chrysler only referred to the "cuda" or "Hemi Cuda" abbreviated, for the 426CI Hemi, are you actually referring to the Barracuda? Not the "Cuda?" Also which year are you refering to as Cuda, or Barracuda. That's nice you can pop the trunk from your handicap seat (drivers seat) it's a luxury, and I really don't need the trunk light because I can see in the dark just fine, but it's a weekend project I can afford to waste an hour or two, so if the switch is actually in production, it'd be nice to know where to buy one.

I have a 67 Barracuda in which when I bought the car there was no light or trunk switch. It must have gotten tossed somewhere down the line. Sorry...... I just say cuda instead of spelling out "Barracuda". I just assume members would know that my cuda is an A-body instead of a E-body since this is a A-body forum.... :D
I picked up the latch devise and the trunk activation switch that is mounted under the dash about 11 years ago. I don't know exactly the year of the New Yorker I got this from put I can try to round up the part numbers and info on what is needed if you want me too. The trunk activation switch has "Trunk" wrote on it. Don't know if this is correct way of wiring it up but is stays hot all the time. I don't have to turn the ignition switch to "ON" in order to pop the trunk.
Fun little devise. When at a cruise in with my buddies standing around I enjoy the look on their faces when I pop the trunk to get a drink or chair out of the trunk....:eek: Trunk pops up about a foot or so and just stays right there in that position.

My 69 has a center latch only and the lamp is about 1/2 between center and the left edge.

Thanks for all the extremely cool un-related information to the topic I was seeking information for. If for some weird chance I will ever need to work on an A-body other than anything I actually own and outside the year ranges of the A-bodies I own, I will contact every one of you. Thanks you all for your all exceptionally ad-hd performance. I know who to contact if I need information other than what I am looking for.

Thanks for all the extremely cool un-related information to the topic I was seeking information for. If for some weird chance I will ever need to work on an A-body other than anything I actually own and outside the year ranges of the A-bodies I own, I will contact every one of you. Thanks you all for your all exceptionally ad-hd performance. I know who to contact if I need information other than what I am looking for.

Sorry you feel that way! You were told what's correct. Do you want to purchase the correct 90 switch and or package?

-
Back