Trunk Prop Rod location

-

Chuck Bushey

Reaction score
I have the spring loaded prop rod for the trunk on my 66 Barracuda, however, when looking to install it I find that there is no hole in the trunk lid for the upper end to go in. Can someone who has the prop rod on their car get a measurement where the hole should be for proper operation? The mounting place on the left rear fender inside is there and the hole bracket cover is all there just not one on the lid. I suspect that this car had been hit in the rear at some point and the lid was probably replaced with a lid for some other style.

Does this help? If you blow the image up it looks like its in the center (left to right and top to bottom) in that curved recess area.

IMG_4235.JPG

Interesting, I don't have that little flattened out area. Mine is just straight on both sides. It looks like the bottom of the J hook actually rests on the flat area. Not sure if I will be able to mount this. May be the reason is was just loose in the trunk when I got the car 20+ years ago. I may have to put my engineering hat on to see what if anything I can do. The picture however will help me locate the approximate position of where that should be. Thanks!

The trunk lid you have must be 64/65. The trunk prop was different for those two years. There is a thread that goes back to 2015, "How and why do 65 Barracudas have various trunk props?" I would check that out since there is a diagram and photos of the other 64/65 version that mounted on the right hand passenger side.

-
Back