Trunk redo!!

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
My wife made the mistake of saying that the trunk in our Dart did not look very good. After looking at a number of different things I realized that the only way to go was to remove the rust proofing that had been put on by a PO and redone by me. I now have a lot of work to do as the whole trunk is covered in the black hell! Wish me luck!!!!!!! Anything that would make my life easier in this task would be helpful.

Do you know exactly what it is that you are removing? Not familiar with ' the black hell' - perhaps an exorcist? LOL

I have no idea why people spray bomb the trunks black instead of doing it right.

had the same problem on mine. just hope its not truck bed liner or undercoating or some other really bright idea #-o

mine was just black Wal-Mart paint.:pale:

Attachments

• CIMG0483.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 216
Mine is asphalt based rust proofer that does not ever really get completely hard. I have stripped some already using a putty knife, reducer and a wire brush on a grinder. It is a major PITA, but will be worth it once I am done. Just got to decide how to finish it once the black hell is all removed!

So basically like undercoat. I normally would warm it with a torch or heat gun then use a putty knife. If heated to near burning, the remaining residue brushes of much cleaner. That could still work just heating enough to soften it slightly, but can't get to hot or might screw up the finish on the other side. How thoroughly was it coated?

Mine is asphalt based rust proofer that does not ever really get completely hard. I have stripped some already using a putty knife, reducer and a wire brush on a grinder. It is a major PITA, but will be worth it once I am done. Just got to decide how to finish it once the black hell is all removed!

eeeeesssshhhhh that does sound like a mess .....the reducer is going to make it sticky.

Well either way I hope you wear a respirator to not get high on the reducer and take care of yourself ....and agree 100% that it will be worth it.

Regardless how you do it...Even with a respirator, be sure to have fresh air supply. Not always easy to do in these cold months.

I see a respirator in my near future as I have breathing problems that I don't need to make worse. The trunk is completely covered with the crap, partly my fault!!

I am REALLY worried about the inside of the quarter panel as I do NOT want to screw up my paint on the outside!!

How thick is the coating? Could you paint over it? If not all, at least in the quarters
I'd say just wire brush it as Rani suggested, but even that can generate some heat, don't know if it would affect the outer paint.

The thickness is not the problem. I would just paint over it but the rust proofer is soft. The reason I know this is that I tried to paint over it today with trunk paint and the rust proofer bled through the paint and ruined it.

Ok, going back to my experience in furniture refinishing... Apply paste stripper and scrape it off when softened. Then use a little more stripper and scrub a bit with a coarse stripping pad. Wipe that off with rags or paper towels. Finish clean up with solvent ( I like to use lacquer thinner)and a clean rag.

Surprise, surprise! When I was stripping the spare tire well I found some pin holes in the bottom of the well. So I guess that I will need to replace the bottom of the well at the same time.

-
Back