trunk spare tire well

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Doing some panel work this winter while doing the 4 speed swap, starting with passenger floor pan and the hump etc..

My trunk floor is solid except for the tire well. One bracket for the tank is a bit weak but not to the point of falling off, and there are a couple of poorly patched holes.

Sherman makes the well only, but it does not come with the bracket system for the tank.

Anyone just do the well and make/reuse the brackets?

Just watched an episode of Roadkill Garage where they did just that, but man that looked like alot of hackery which of course is the spirit of that show.

I don't want/need to do the whole trunk floor

Brackets come with the trunk floor from AMD. I would think they sell the brackets separately also.

So I thought I would add some more information here. I bought one of the Sherman spare tire well replacements. Now, I flattened it and used it to make the trunk floor in my Duster flat, but I think a lot of the same stuff applies. The Sherman spare tire well is not an easy installation. It will take a decent amount of work to get it to fit and look right. It also takes A LOT of welding. Yes, my install took more, but on the plus side all the welding I did was flat, where if you use the spare tire well piece to replace the spare tire well you will be welding in the vertical section of the tire well the entire time.

IMG_6840.jpeg

So, what I'm saying is that given the choice between installing a spare tire well section, or the entire AMD trunk floor, I'd install the AMD full trunk pan every time. EVERY time. It's less work, it's less welding, and it will look better when you're done.

I cosign with the above. Welding in a spare tire well is a lot of work for a second rate looking job when you're done. You might pay a couple hundred extra for the whole floor but the amount of time it takes to install it will be hours and hours less, while it will look a million times better.

I butt welded a spare tire well panel in mine around 2009 or so. The seam is a couple of inches up so hard to see from under car. My body was bent over like a U while butt welding that seam from inside trunk. It was was super difficult. I am happy with how it turned out. But full trunk floor would have been way way easier.

PXL_20240218_185411089.MP.jpg

-
Back