trunk struts

-

sefus

Reaction score
So after the mini tub for clearance I had to cut out the torsion bar supports that hold the trunk lid up and am thinking that some struts like on a mustang foxbody hatch or any other strut that will assist when opening and hold up the lid would be pretty sweet. Anybody do anything like this before? Any other ideas I should think of before I hit the junk yard? Thanks!

-Sefus

A fox body hatch might be pretty heavy with the glass??? making those struts to strong... I know the aftermarket replacement struts have a weight rating might want to start there???? 2002 and older Cherokees,non grand, have fiberglass rear hatches, those might be an option..MaMopar sells strut kits for the new Challenger hoods, since only the SRT 8's have them standard.
I've seen these kits on ebay.

bob

Just reweld your torsion bar supports back where they belong OldVart said it best.

I was able to bend the sping steel torsion support brackets to miss the new fabricated wheel wells. I think if you can have the brackets re-welded back in place. Why re-invent a good system. One problem I did have was since the brackets were angled it made the torsion bars slip off the trunk arms. There is a hard plastic sleeve that slips over the rods end and is held in place against the trunk arms by spring tension. That is one of my projects right now. I need to heat and bend the end shown a more sharper angle and then bend the very end to be parallel to the main length. I only need it to be 1/2" longer to fully engage the trunk arms. One thing I haven't reseached yet is where to find replacement hard plastic sleeves. One is lost in the trunk somewhere and the one I have the hole is worn and oversized, anyone know of a source for these let me know.

First Pic - Angled support from ouside trunk view
Second Pic - Lay your head on your table to best understand view
Third Pic - Repeat second pic instructions
Fourth Pic - Torsion Bar end that needs to be bent ( Note to self: good luck bending spring steel )

Good luck with your project, let us know how you solve your truck supports.

GregH

php5XlfjIPM.jpg

phpHi0D2ePM.jpg

phpxIT7k3PM.jpg

phpDdDHb5PM.jpg

Well rewelding the supports is not really an option. The plasma cutter made sure of that. Good call on the weight issue. I was thinking a minivan rear glass could be close but the jeep is another good option. Might have to do some weighing and angle research. Thanks guys!
-Sefus

I installed 38" tubs, kept the bar supports, welded them to the tubs, but lost that plastic guide on one side; thinking a piece of pvc pipe will work.

-
Back