Trunk trim

-

shags72

Code Monkey
Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart and I want a nos trunk trim piece. Anyone know where I might find one?

You mean this one?
DSC04724.jpg

Good luck on finding a decent one let alone a NOS one! I have been looking for about 2 years now for a "nice" one with no dents or deep scratches that can't be buffed out. I lost out on a "ok" one on ebay about 8 months ago that sold for 90 bucks but I just won one for $53.00 that has some scratches but no dents.
If this one is crappy Im just going to weld the holes shut.

I was on ebay about five years ago and was bidding on an nos one and lost out at the last second for $125. Someone else was shooting back everytime i bid and I haven't seen another since. Mine just has scratches from the trunk keys dangling on it, but I still hate it. We will just have to keep trying.

Have you tryed buffing it out? Im prety sure there is a thread on here about buffing trim. If not I can give you a crash course. I used to buff propellers so I have a good grip on it. I did my stainless window trin and it practically looks new! You can get most scratches out and never know they were there!

If it's anodized aluminum see if you can find someone who can remove the anodizing. Then you can sand and buff to your heart's content. Aluminum oxides quickly, so it's important to get it re-anodized in fairly short order. The trunk panel from my 66 Dart GT was extra bad and I couldn't find a replacement. This is the process I used to restore it. While aluminum can be buffed out to a chrome-like finish, anodizing will make it look a little milky.

66DartGT rear tiny.jpg

I have a beautiful set (all 3 pieces). I just finished my '72 and I sent off my pieces to be professionally done. I am away now and I won't be back for awhile. I am just posting this so nobody welds up their holes feeling there is no hope to find a nice set. I happened to weld mine up. I had just changed my mind about putting them back on just prior to painting. I don't need to sell them and I wasn't going to but if you can just give me some time
to get home and pull them out I will send some pics. if you are interested. If you come across something else at a good price, buy it don't wait on me. It is your choice. I know how hard it is to get some parts and trim can be close to the top. I won't be at a computer to reply after Wednesday. If this does not help or complicates it for you ignore this reply. Good luck.

It is anodized aluminum and I don't know where in central Illinois that I can get what I had been calling bright dipping (what I was told what it was not anodized but could be I was told wrong) done or I would buff the scratches out and redip. I did all of the stainless trim on the car when I redid it. I guess I can try. Really the piece isn't that bad but it is not as good as the two outer pieces and you know how it is with your own car you get really picky. Anyone elses and you probably wouldn't even notice.
Southside, I would be interested so post them when you can and where did you get your pieces done? You livin on the Southside of "Chi town?

That anodizing will come off rather easily with oven cleaner.........after it's cleaned, you can have it buffed at a local Bike Shop.....save you a lot of time and bucks.

Earlier I posted that I may be willing to sell my trim pieces when I returned from my trip. Well my wife and son want me to keep them just in case we decide to change it back. Sorry. But if anyone wants the place I had mine done at ( I am pleased with the work they did) it is at :www.tuffwheelrestoration.com

They are out of Michigan.

-
Back