Trying to change turn signal switch

-

dartsport73

Reaction score
So today I tried to change my turn signal switch. The little plastic piece that holds it down on a left hand turn was broken.

Everything was going well until it was time for me to remove the "bearing housing". How do I remove that thing? I'm trying to get it outta the way so i can install the new switch.

To give a run down I :

Removed the column bracket
Wheel/horn
Old switch/wires

Does anyone have a good link or something with instructions for a noob?

Technically, a special puller was used. You could make one that uses the 3 retainer holes like the factory tool. First, make sure the snap ring under the switch has been removed. You risk damaging something prying on the upper section. If it's been off before you might be able to wiggle it off.

The bearing is an interferance fit on the shaft. It's loose in the rubber insulator inside the housing.

Attachments

• column bearing puller.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 145
  • upperbearingimg.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 172
  • bearinginhousingimg.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 147
I never have. There should be a notch or to in the bearing housing you can stick the screwdriver in a pry it up some. That will get you a little gap you can get the screwdriver in and pry it the rest of the way off.

Good info 70Duster440. You got any thing on how the two shaftes go together in the middle and what holds them together?

Good info 70Duster440. You got any thing on how the two shaftes go together in the middle and what holds them together?

Are you talking about the breakaway joint on the shaft itself? I really don't have anything. I know they made a dealer repair kit which may or may not still be available. Involved an epoxy, I believe. The factory just injected plastic through holds in the shafts. There's really not much holding them together, nor is much required. You could probably do it yourself by removing the old plastic 'pins' and replacing it with a two part epoxy.

Are you talking about the breakaway joint on the shaft itself? I really don't have anything. I know they made a dealer repair kit which may or may not still be available. Involved an epoxy, I believe. The factory just injected plastic through holds in the shafts. There's really not much holding them together, nor is much required. You could probably do it yourself by removing the old plastic 'pins' and replacing it with a two part epoxy.

Ya that sounds like it. My brother took it apart for some reason. Thanks Bro:munky2:LOL All I know is I got two shafts and I could not see how they went back together. Some epoxy or a small screw may do the trick.

U can use a screw to keep one side centered while you epoxy the other side....but do not leave it in.....the epoxy should keep it from rattling and that is all you really care about....well that and the fact that it is supposed to collapse in the event of an accident. The is the joint that keeps the steering wheel from crushing your chest in a head on.

PS....might want to keep your brother away from things that he can take apart without knowing how to put them back together....like your transmission. Taking things apart is always easier than putting them back together correctly, far cheaper too!!! LOL
good luck

If you use epoxy, it might not collapse. i would use urethane based casting plastic instead.

-
Back