Trying to get an '84 /6 running tip-top. Carb rebuild is next.

-
Reaction score
I've got a 1984 Dodge D150. Not an a-body, but I figured this would be the best place to ask for some slant 6 help. I've already gone ahead and spoken with and am ordering an entire HEI kit from Trailbeast. I've gone ahead and removed all the broken/nonfunctioning emissions stuff and capped off all of the corresponding ports/connections.

My next step to making this more reliable (and while I wait for the HEI setup to come in) is to rebuild the stock 1945. I've fiddled with some older slant 6 cars, but never with a newer one or the 1945 carb. I've tried with only a little success to find the difference between earlier and later model 1945 carbs, so I'm not sure if mine will work just fine or if I'd save myself going to a "more reliable" or simpler model from an earlier slant 6. I've also looked into converting to a Holley 1920, but from what I've read there isnt much concensus on it being a "better" carb than the 1945 other than the fact that it's easier to jet and a little simpler. I won't be rejetting this truck at all really once it's dialed in, I plan to drive it and use it as a motorcycle hauler until I can swing the $$$ for a 2 or 4 barrel upgrade down the road sometime this winter.

So, my plan as of now is to order a rebuild kit for the 1945 from Mike's carburetors as well as some brass floats for it. Is that my best option for the time being? Also, is there any notoriously problematic issues that I should address while I have the carb apart? Poor stock jetting, etc? If I should be looking for an earlier 1945, what years should I be looking at (and if you have one, please shoot me a PM so I can buy it from you)?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with another holley 1bbl question.

-Brandon

Well, I went ahead and bought a Holley 1920 from a fellow member. My truck is a 4 speed, so I wont have to worry about a kickdown cable or anything. Any other compatibility issues I might have or parts I should order while I wait for this to come in the mail? The throttle cable and everything should be the same right?

-
Back