trying to get rid of this damn flatspot

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
65 valiant slant six motor. Carter bbs. I've tried everything to smooth it out right off idle. I got mixture set from turned in out till idle quits rising. I even tried little extra rich and a little extra lean. Tried moving accelerator pump rod to the other adjustment points. And doesn't seem to affect it. Timing is set at 5deg. at about 800rpm if I remember right. Carb has good squirt and is rebuilt. Distributor is new. I have done factory electronic conversion. The only thing I have not tried is advance adjustment through the pod. But that is something I haven't ever done before. No idea where to start from or if that would even affect a flat spot.

Any help would be great

I would like to know why this has been moved to slant section. I posted to general not just because of more traffic, but because it shouldnt be a slant specific question. Flat spots occur on any motor and are generally fixed all the same way... hmm not a big deal just wondering how this is specific to slant just cause it is one... seems like a racist thing. :p

I've asked same question on .org as well and have not got much of help with it. These slant forums don't have very much traffic and mostly same people.

Edit... sorry I noticed general is for non technical things. I don't see a delete button for an entire post :-/

I would try this if it was me, Remove the vacuum line going to the distributor and block it off, and see if it clears, you may have to advance your timming a couple degree's
If this does not help it is not in your vacuum advance.
Does this happen when you first touch the accelerator ? or does it do it at any speed as you hit the accelerator ? This could be a vacuum leak or time to change the timing chain and gears.

Brand new engine. already checked for leaks. Happens only at idle rpm such as sitting at a red light then flatspots when green. Or slowing down to turn the corner.

Just saw this post, you may have fixed it allready. I got the float too low when carb was rebuilt on my 63 Valiant.It too would die making a turn and flat spot on take off even with a good pump squirt.You may want to set it higher than factory spec.....

Yep float level fixed mine, with mechanical fuel pump when the engine idles there isnt an "excess" of extra gas so when you hit the gas from an idle it takes a second for there to be an ample amount of fuel that the motor needs for the increased rpm's...that's what i always thought so i raised it just a tad and bam snappy like a race motor from all rpm's!:)

Damn! I may check mine. Never messed with these one barrels, or the floats, but...my slant 6 225, is doing the same thing.
Stumbles on take off, just for a second, then the power is there!

-
Back