Trying to get to Ignition Lock

-

Jimmycocopop

Reaction score
So ...73 Duster auto ....I'm trying to change out the ignition cylinder lock and stuck at this part (see pic). Pulled the first snap ring so the cover "should" slide out towards me so i can get to the next part....damn thing spins but i'm yanking on it and it doesnt budge. Do i need to remove anything else! All screws have been removed as far as I can tell. Been following the instructional thread step by step. Tried to remove rubber ring but seems to be well attached, dont want to destroy it unless i have to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 120
So ...73 Duster auto ....I'm trying to change out the ignition cylinder lock and stuck at this part (see pic). Pulled the first snap ring so the cover "should" slide out towards me so i can get to the next part....damn thing spins but i'm yanking on it and it doesnt budge. Do i need to remove anything else! All screws have been removed as far as I can tell. Been following the instructional thread step by step. Tried to remove rubber ring but seems to be well attached, dont want to destroy it unless i have to.

I think the only thing holding it then is the bearing, unless you forgot a screw or something. I would just keep working at it. The rubber cover goes all the way around the bearing so if you try to pull it out it's gonna tear it up. Maybe try some pb blaster or something, maybe the bearing is grabbing the shaft.

I think the only thing holding it then is the bearing, unless you forgot a screw or something. I would just keep working at it. The rubber cover goes all the way around the bearing so if you try to pull it out it's gonna tear it up. Maybe try some pb blaster or something, maybe the bearing is grabbing the shaft.

Thanks! Still trying to work at it, the cover/housing spins left to right freely, and pops back in towards the dash, but out towards me is not happening. Looked all over for any screws but i'm at a loss. I'll give the pb blaster some more time to work.

[ame="http://youtu.be/EZ5aDQqXacw"]http://youtu.be/EZ5aDQqXacw[/ame]
Any ideas?! Losing my mind over here! :banghead:

Patience and persistence finally paid off. After much pb blaster and "persuasion" I was able to remove the cover. Now to work on the next snap ring.

Attachments

• 20141126_092614.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 91
I use the point of a test light or a sharp pick for that snap ring and it works pretty good to work it out of it's groove if you start by getting the point under the ring end and work your way around.
You'll probably have to pull up on the shaft to get it back on, as the shaft likes to slide down without the snap ring.

I use the point of a test light or a sharp pick for that snap ring and it works pretty good to work it out of it's groove if you start by getting the point under the ring end and work your way around.
You'll probably have to pull up on the shaft to get it back on, as the shaft likes to slide down without the snap ring.

Yeah getting the snap rings off was a bit of a pain....but getting the front ring back ON was a real PITA. Finally got it all back together and buttoned up! Appreciate the help!

-
Back