Trying to locate a reputable machine shop

-

Old Mopar Man

Reaction score
Greetings,

Trying to locate a good machine shop in GA or NH. My motor is currently in GA, but ‘73 Dart project in NH. I commute between the two states, so SC, NC, MA, VT would work also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Almost lost a complete 340 to a less than honest shop.

Thanks - Ed

I've had good luck so far with a guy in Macon. Extreme Engines. Richard White is his name. Guy names Frank Taylor owns it and Richard runs the place. He's really good, but most times, he's a one man show and h's SLOW. He has a nice dyno room, lots of modern equipment and a great attitude. He's not way out there with prices, but he's SLOW. There's also Mid State Machine in Macon. Billy Vaughn owns it. I've known him 40 years. He's just as hard headed now as when I first met him. Lastly Wheelers Manufacturing has been back open in Macon for a little while now. I've taken them a few small things, but he's just playin around. They were HUGE from about the 1940 to the 1980s. They were THE PLACE in the southeast to get reman engines, but slowly over time, economy and refusal to upgrade to modern practices got them. They had like 10-12 loading docks in the back lot from the shop.....now all that area has got trees growing up out of the concrete. I'd be embarrassed running it knowing what it used to be......but he's still at it. I would throw in Cassidy Machine shop in Macon. Gary Meadow owns it. Known him a long time too. He does so much industrial machine work, he'll barely look at you with little automotive stuff. The Atlanta area I am sure is another story but I am unfamiliar with that.

Ed,

What part of Georgia is close to you? That will help finding a shop.

Having said that, If you can get the engine to one of the shops @RustyRatRod mentioned, I'm sure you can trust them.

Got a guy in Conn. I'm going to be using this winter for a stroker build..

Greetings,

Trying to locate a good machine shop in GA or NH. My motor is currently in GA, but ‘73 Dart project in NH. I commute between the two states, so SC, NC, MA, VT would work also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Almost lost a complete 340 to a less than honest shop.

Thanks - Ed
been there. lost 340 main caps at Woodinville Auto Parts. ba $tard $.

I've had good luck so far with a guy in Macon. Extreme Engines. Richard White is his name. Guy names Frank Taylor owns it and Richard runs the place. He's really good, but most times, he's a one man show and h's SLOW. He has a nice dyno room, lots of modern equipment and a great attitude. He's not way out there with prices, but he's SLOW. There's also Mid State Machine in Macon. Billy Vaughn owns it. I've known him 40 years. He's just as hard headed now as when I first met him. Lastly Wheelers Manufacturing has been back open in Macon for a little while now. I've taken them a few small things, but he's just playin around. They were HUGE from about the 1940 to the 1980s. They were THE PLACE in the southeast to get reman engines, but slowly over time, economy and refusal to upgrade to modern practices got them. They had like 10-12 loading docks in the back lot from the shop.....now all that area has got trees growing up out of the concrete. I'd be embarrassed running it knowing what it used to be......but he's still at it. I would throw in Cassidy Machine shop in Macon. Gary Meadow owns it. Known him a long time too. He does so much industrial machine work, he'll barely look at you with little automotive stuff. The Atlanta area I am sure is another story but I am unfamiliar with that.

Rusty,

Many thanks. I live in the Augusta area and my In-laws live in Macon. I know the area pretty well. Going to start from the top of the list. It has been many years since I sent a motor for work, but can recall a lot more shops growing up in Boston. Lots of specialty guys that generally favored Mopar, GM or Ford motors to work on.

Again, I appreciate the assistance.

Ed

I was lucky, I had a buddy who was local and kept driving by and just happen to find the guy packing up the shop and retrieved the motor.
Got a guy in Conn. I'm going to be using this winter for a stroker build..

Thanks, going to try one of the shops in Macon.

Presicion Blancing in Hudson NH. They bored and honed my motor . Clean shop seem very proffesional. My buddy recomended to me. Some guys a NE Dragway use them.
Precision Balancing & Machine

Thanks,

Grew up going to Epping, NH to the dragway. And of course tax free in NH! Like NH so much own a place in Stewartstown up in Great North Country and spend about half my time between GA and NH.

Nice. My 4 brothers and I owned a camp on the Powwow River in East Kingston. One brother bought us out and retired there. Just was there yesterday .

In Georgia try Shelton Racing Enterprises. My 414 small block was built there. Guy knows Mopars. Has a Superflow Dyno.

Rusty,

Many thanks. I live in the Augusta area and my In-laws live in Macon. I know the area pretty well. Going to start from the top of the list. It has been many years since I sent a motor for work, but can recall a lot more shops growing up in Boston. Lots of specialty guys that generally favored Mopar, GM or Ford motors to work on.

Again, I appreciate the assistance.

Ed

Unfortunately, with the age of crate motors, the automotive machine shops are dwindling at a pretty rapid pace. Sad, really.

Join speed-talk.com. There are plenty of professional machinists on there that can steer you to a good shop.

Unfortunately, with the age of crate motors, the automotive machine shops are dwindling at a pretty rapid pace. Sad, really.
Rusty,

Called many of the suggested shops offered up. Going to drop the motor off tomorrow morning at Extreme. I had great conversation with Richard and he offered up some practical options.

Thanks again,

Ed

Rusty,

Called many of the suggested shops offered up. Going to drop the motor off tomorrow morning at Extreme. I had great conversation with Richard and he offered up some practical options.

Thanks again,

Ed

You bet, Ed. He's about the best Macon has to offer......just remember, give him time. He's always swamped because he's good. I have to go by soon myself to give him more dough and sit down and talk with him some more.

-
Back