Trying to remove door locks, 72 Duster?

-
Reaction score
I've removed everything from the door (handles, panels). I'm trying to remove the key locks from the door. I see the rod going to the back of the lock looking to be held on with an e clip. This clip will not move so far. How do you remove this lock? I'm trying to prep the car for paint. Thanks

Pop the rod out of the plastic clip then push the flat metal u-shaped clip away from the lock cylinder...at least that's what I remember

Pop the rod out of the plastic clip then push the flat metal u-shaped clip away from the lock cylinder...at least that's what I remember

This holds the lock cyclinder in place and slide toward the front of the car to remove.

Attachments

• CH20301-lrg.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 226
I have had to remove a million of these things when I had a locksmith biz. Some cars were rustproofed, and factory applied sound deadening often cements these clips in place causing them to resist one’s advances.
Easiest method to remove and reinstall “C” clip securing door lock cylinder is a pair of small vice grips. You can put a little English on the damn thing, it won’t get away from you dropping to the bottom of door, and you won’t bust up your knuckles on raw sheet metal edges when a screwdriver or other plier slips.

-
Back