TT 5.7 hemi in 75 duster

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
ok guys I am wanting your thoughts on this. The hemi swap is a sure thing, the TT is a want at this point. I debated going with a supercharger but I like the stelth look of everything being under the hood. I have access to just about any turbo off of a factory car, through a buddys junk yard. And seeing how I was planning on building headers for the hemi for the duster (im too cheep to buy them at $700 a set) so whey not just run them up front and mount the turbos instead of running headers. I have ported and polished heads on the motor as well as an aftermarket cam (getting changed out for a FI cam) I'm guessing the heads flow in the 325cfm range and plan on reving the motor out to 6500rpm so I need a good boost range that will come on hard about 3500 but be sustainable up to the redline. The motor currently has a stock bottom end and will only see 7psi. But once I build a stroker motor, I'm planning on upping the boost to 25-30psi. And I know the turbos will need to be swapped out at that time and that is really not an issue. What do you guys think about the cummins turbos? Any thoughts will be great thanks.

If you go with a cummins turbo you would want them off of the mechanical trucks, the HX35's are what the ford guys run on the 2.3l engines. But I think those might be too small for your app. Ideally i would say look for two turbos off of GN's or T-types. Not much else from a stock app is going to be big enough.
What is ur ultimate goal stroker and big boost? 25-30psi with a built engine is good for well over 1000hp if it's built right. What trans are you putting behind the motor?
This doesn't say what was done to the engine or how much PSI but gives you an idea.
http://www.plumfloored.com/vortech_charger.htm

cant give any good answers but that sounds like something that will run very hard when done!
around here there is a sbc powered merceds 190E with twin scania turbos on something that had just ported smogheads wish are nowhere near the headflow a new hemi has and that thing made enormus power on E85 running low 9s with a car that where never able to handle half the power..

25-30pounds on a modern hemi should be far above 1000hp

thanks for the input everyone. My computer crashed and all I have is my phone now. The car is in the process of getting wheel tubs. The subframe connectors are done, after the tubs are in (tomarrow) we will be starting on the 12pt cage. Then the motor will be installed. And the plumbing will begin. A buddy of mine dropped off a cummins turbo today, as soon as he get another truck in I'll get another. I have some research to do on turbo sizing and hopefully it will be done before too long.

after thinking alitle more on this supbject why would the cummins turbos need swaped out later on? alot of diesels run crazy boost with stock turbos :) around here its no all that uncomon to use big turbos made for scania trucks when hotroding V8s making very big power and lasting pretty good,while at the same time there is alot of cars with "the last newest best namebrande highperformance racing" turbos having alot of trouble making them work and last as good as the tried and true stuff from diferent oem manufacturers :) just a thought! you can never do to much researsh dialing something like this in,just dont count out the standard stuff to quick!
please update us more as you go with this project it sounds very interesting!

His build is ambitious? or the power suggestion?

Well, both. I haven't heard of 25-30lbs of boost on a new Hemi. A 6.1 based TT 426" a friend built is looking at 8lbs of boost in the 800hp range.

I dont know much about the chassis build, but supporting 1000hp+ isnt easy or cheap

after thinking alitle more on this supbject why would the cummins turbos need swaped out later on? alot of diesels run crazy boost with stock turbos around here its no all that uncomon to use big turbos made for scania trucks when hotroding V8s making very big power and lasting pretty good,while at the same time there is alot of cars with "the last newest best namebrande highperformance racing" turbos having alot of trouble making them work and last as good as the tried and true stuff from diferent oem manufacturers just a thought! you can never do to much researsh dialing something like this in,just dont count out the standard stuff to quick!
please update us more as you go with this project it sounds very interesting!

The problem people run into with diesel turbos on gasoline engines is that diesel exhaust velocity is much lower than gasoline exhaust velocity. This is due to the difference in rpm operating range. The turbine housing from a diesel turbo are the limiting factor when transferring them onto a gasoline engine. Example, turbo ford guys running the 2.3l SVO engines will upgrade out of their stock turbos to run a turbo off of a 5.9l cummins. Which is why even a midly build 5.7l will flow to much to run stock turbos off of most diesels. The only differences between the latest "namebrand" hi-po turbo and diesel turbos tend to be in the turbine housing and impeller design, such that the turbos will function within the "efficiency islands."

Dual HX40(45) don't remember which, or HX55 would probably support your base build they are cummins turbos that come of some of the industrial equipment. But they can be found on different turbo oriented forums for fair prices.

Well, both. I haven't heard of 25-30lbs of boost on a new Hemi. A 6.1 based TT 426" a friend built is looking at 8lbs of boost in the 800hp range.

I dont know much about the chassis build, but supporting 1000hp+ isnt easy or cheap

well first of all have a chat with stu at inertia motorsports he has a few motors running 25-30psi. The key is in the parts choice I was advised against a 392 stroker in favor of a 370 for a 5.7 block, because the pistons will have more of a skirt to minimize piston rock, and they can be made stronger due to haveing more meterial than a larger motor. Now about the chassis, the car is getting a 12pt cage, mini tubs were completed today, and it will be 4 linked. Exact parts for shocks, springs, t bars ect have yet to be determined. The car is getting built to run mid to low 9's but I plan on dialing it back to 10's as I'm not wanting to deal with liscensing. As this car is just a fun toy to play with and to race at test and tune nights at the track. That's the plan but if it runs good thing might change in the future.

The problem people run into with diesel turbos on gasoline engines is that diesel exhaust velocity is much lower than gasoline exhaust velocity. This is due to the difference in rpm operating range. The turbine housing from a diesel turbo are the limiting factor when transferring them onto a gasoline engine. Example, turbo ford guys running the 2.3l SVO engines will upgrade out of their stock turbos to run a turbo off of a 5.9l cummins. Which is why even a midly build 5.7l will flow to much to run stock turbos off of most diesels. The only differences between the latest "namebrand" hi-po turbo and diesel turbos tend to be in the turbine housing and impeller design, such that the turbos will function within the "efficiency islands."

Dual HX40(45) don't remember which, or HX55 would probably support your base build they are cummins turbos that come of some of the industrial equipment. But they can be found on different turbo oriented forums for fair prices.

you are probably correct. And that's my fear. I was wanting cheep turbos as I got the one I have for free. But buying a pair of them is going to drag out the project a little longer. We will see though. Thanks for your input I have a few calls to make in the morning to see about getting educated on turbos a bit more.

well first of all have a chat with stu at inertia motorsports he has a few motors running 25-30psi. The key is in the parts choice I was advised against a 392 stroker in favor of a 370 for a 5.7 block, because the pistons will have more of a skirt to minimize piston rock, and they can be made stronger due to haveing more meterial than a larger motor. Now about the chassis, the car is getting a 12pt cage, mini tubs were completed today, and it will be 4 linked. Exact parts for shocks, springs, t bars ect have yet to be determined. The car is getting built to run mid to low 9's but I plan on dialing it back to 10's as I'm not wanting to deal with liscensing. As this car is just a fun toy to play with and to race at test and tune nights at the track. That's the plan but if it runs good thing might change in the future.

Sounds like a good project

yeah and we are leaving the beat up dented body alone to make it a sleeper car on the street. That is for a while anyway. I really wanna race and drive the car befor I worry about body and paint.

I would recommend
www.theturboforums.com

There is a TON of knowledge base over there, plus a lot of guys who have experience in the "single versus dual" argument, as well as suppliers who can make a sizing recommendations based on your intended goals and direction.

I would advise getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions after you have that conversation...

sounds like a good power plant :cheers:

so you did a minitub to the factory frame rails? if so id like to see your 4 link setup. i always thought the diesel turbos were sized totally wrong to work on gas engines. it would be interesting though.

james I have not even started the 4 link yet. But there will be pics of it once I do. I'm currently waiting on tires from hoosier. We are going to stuff a 31/10.50 under the car. And once we get the wheel/tire to fit we are going to have a dana 60 shortened to fit the wheels. The 4 link will be going in at that time. The tires should arrive by the 11th of sept. (thats the ETA I was given, I hope it's sooner than that) I'll see if I can post a pic of the wheels bolted under the car on the stock axle though.

-
Back