TTI Exhaust Systems

-

PolarBear

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I had a set of dual exhaust pipes custom bent and installed on my 1965 273 V8 Barracuda. I had the bender/installer connect them individually to the existing (and original) exhaust manifolds. Because of the one-notch tranny crossmember, he hung 'em pretty low.

I recently purchased a set of Spitfire headers from Harold Johnson, and I am going to modify the crossmember (thanks to the excellent article recently posted on this absolutely wonderful website) so that a new exhaust system won't have to hang so low.

Have any of you guys installed the TTI exhaust system on this particular car? .... or on any other pre-67 A-Body? Other than cost, what's the difference in the "H" pipe and the "X" pipe systems? And for my non-racing application, is there any need to consider the 3" system (versus the 2.5")?

Obviously, the TTI exhaust system is designed to connect to TTI headers, so I know some minor modification will be needed to connect them to the non-flanged Spitfires - but I would think that a good muffler shop (or custom bender) could take care of that.

Any thoughts and comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

For your car I would stay with the 2 1/2" system and go with the H-Pipe. The 3" will be over kill and actually hurt the cars performance.

I have a set sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on a 1965 Dart. I ordered the 2.5" with x pipe for my stroker 340. I'll post some pics when I get them installed.

Cool.......... I had a hunch that the "H" scheme and the 2.5" pipe would be okay.

Do you guys think an "average" mechanically minded hobbyist equipped with an adequate array of tools (such as myself) should try to install the exhaust system (I don't have a lift - I'd be using jack stands) or should I let the pros have at it?

And should I have flanges welded to the unflanged Spitfires - or will a "sleeve & clamp" type of apparatus work?

Dont forget about the TTI mini starter you will need.. Im doing the same thing, a 360 into a 66 dart.. and im curious to see how this turns out for you aswell...

You might not but it is a very nice addition and makes the engine crank over much better. You can get one out of any of the Dodge Ram, Dakota's or Durange witht he Magnum V8's....they all bolt right in and work great.

I'll be doing the same thing to my 66 dart - only I ordered the TTI ssytem to fit up to the stocker manifolds. I figure I can get the car running and drive it to the shop for the shorty header install and the down pipe fabrications - save a little dough not having it flat bedded since the car is not running yet. PLus I can break the motor in myself. I bought the h pipe 2.5inch system as well. My car will be running a 300-350 hp 328ci (60 over 318).

66dartgt said:
I'll be doing the same thing to my 66 dart - only I ordered the TTI ssytem to fit up to the stocker manifolds. I figure I can get the car running and drive it to the shop for the shorty header install and the down pipe fabrications - save a little dough not having it flat bedded since the car is not running yet. PLus I can break the motor in myself. I bought the h pipe 2.5inch system as well. My car will be running a 300-350 hp 328ci (60 over 318).

Hey 66dartgt, do you think if i told TTI that i had a 64 dart, but im using a 5.7 hemi out of a 2004 Ram, that they could bend thier pipes to match up to the stock exhaust manifolds on the hemi? Im going for a factory-ish look in my engine bay and actually want to use the 5.7 hemi exhuast manifolds. Thanks

-
Back