TTI Header Knocking Against Torsion Bar

-

Dart Chief

Reaction score
I have a '75 Swinger with a 340. I just had TTI headers installed and the driver side header "straddles" the torsion bar. Now I'm getting a knocking sound from the header banging against the torsion bar. Has anyone else experienced this? Was it installed wrong? I'll check with TTI on Monday but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks.

Please note the sarcasm...
--------------------------------
tti's fit all the time and perfectly and are worth twice what you pay for them!
--------------------------------

On a serious note. You may need to reposition the engine slightly. There are measurements in the instructions IIRC. These cars had huge tolerances when built.

tti will likely tell you they've never heard of such an issue, don't waste your time calling unless it's free.

Double check the age and condition of your spool engine and trans mounts. If they are old and sagging down a bit, new ones may put everything back into alignment. But the engine spool mounts can also be moved around a tiny bit within the saddles.

This is "Locomotion" at Don's house in maryland for the IHRA event this weekend. Myron

No banging, but mine is very close also, maybe 3/16" (see pic). However, I have the Schumacher Torque Strap and Polyurethane Spool Mounts so the motor does not move. I'm running a 73 up K-frame in my 72 Demon.

Like said above check the condition of those motor mounts. I run a Schumaker torque strap on mine and it holds the engine in place without transmitting vibrations. Plus you can adjust the torque strap to move the engine slightly to "adjust" header clearance.

Did you check the engine position according to TTI install instructions? Engine must be sitting according to instructions or headers won't clear.

Like said above check the condition of those motor mounts. I run a Schumaker torque strap on mine and it holds the engine in place without transmitting vibrations. Plus you can adjust the torque strap to move the engine slightly to "adjust" header clearance.

Did you check the engine position according to TTI install instructions? Engine must be sitting according to instructions or headers won't clear.

HMM< I wonder why I decided to use stock cast iron manifolds,
on all the Mopars I have ever owned, except 2 I bought that already had headers.

;)

I bet if the owners of the $100 headers took all the time to fix their motors placement they would have less fitment issues as well. Seems like most people around here think if your Summit's don't fit it's because they are crappy tubes but if your TTis don't fit it's your car's fault! It's like all the Caramy owners complaining about how bad their neighbor's Dodge is on their Consumer Reports survey while overlooking all the times they needed to take it in to the dealer.

-
Back