TTI headers and exhaust

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
Gents and Ladies:
Anyone have recommendations on headers they've installed on a 340? I have a '71 Swinger with a 1972 340 engine in it (I know; the numbers don't match) which still has the factory exhaust manifolds and am interested in replacing them with headers. I've looked at Doug's Headers, TTI, etc. The TTI's are what I'm leaning towards, although they're a bit pricey on the upper model end of things.
The other issue is it a good idea to go ahead and replace the exhaust all the way back if I can swing it financially? The existing components are, shall we say, getting a bit long in the tooth.
Let me know your thoughts,
John Mc.

Buy the Dougs. D453's They fit great and are much less expensive than tti.

Hope it's an auto car... I've had some issues with both Dougs and tti with a clutch z bar.

I used the TTI complete system from headers to the factory style tips out the rear. It was expensive but everything was included that was needed for the installation. Nice fit and sound.

I used the TTI complete system from headers to the factory style tips out the rear. It was expensive but everything was included that was needed for the installation. Nice fit and sound.

Yes I used the same. very nice sound and an awsome fit. I have a four speed and it did all fit no parts rubbing on the headers, but it take some fanangling to get the Z bar to clear the headers.

Thanks for the input. Have to save a few more coins before I do it, but I'm close to affording the upgrades.
JSM

I have polished ceramic coated TTI headers and I got them from Mancini. Don't know if they are cheaper or not.

What I did besides going with the entire TTI system was have my local exhaust expert to run the rest of the system after I bought the headers. It is much cheaper. Exhaust expert in my book is someone you know that can to a higher end job rather than just welding some pipe together. What I had done was 3" pipe coming out of the header collectors (about 9") reduced down into a 2.5 X-pipe (custom made) out to the mufflers and then turned down at the axle (I don't like exhaust tips because they will either turn color or rust). And need be (transmission) I can unbolt the system, drop it and move it out of the way and then reinstall with no problems. The work at the exhaust place was $250 but that includes a 2.5 X-Pipe.

Just making sure you know that it can be done a little cheaper than you might think.

Nice compromise and use of a local business, too.
I'm really leaning towards the TTIs @ this point.
Now to get My Bride on board with the idea....

just read throught this as i am also thinking about doing a complete exhaust on my car this winter. I was thinking TTI, but after looking at prices, Dougs can be had for $540 at summit. The only thing i don't like is that TTI gives you alot of information about fitment and some pictures. I can't seem to find any of that type of stuff for Dougs. The other thing I noticed about the dougs was that the set that i buy for my small block dart will fit on a small block E or B body too. I thought the cars would be a little different and have different clearance issues with the different bodies. But they fit good? I would really like to get a set of nice flowing and nice looking headers, and if i can save $150 i would prefer the dougs.

Thanks,

Steve

so with the doug's and the tti's you don't have to pull the center link?

just read throught this as i am also thinking about doing a complete exhaust on my car this winter. I was thinking TTI, but after looking at prices, Dougs can be had for $540 at summit. The only thing i don't like is that TTI gives you alot of information about fitment and some pictures. I can't seem to find any of that type of stuff for Dougs. The other thing I noticed about the dougs was that the set that i buy for my small block dart will fit on a small block E or B body too. I thought the cars would be a little different and have different clearance issues with the different bodies. But they fit good? I would really like to get a set of nice flowing and nice looking headers, and if i can save $150 i would prefer the dougs.

Thanks,

Steve

If it was just $150.00 more for TTi's, then I would go with the TTi's all day long.

Those guys at TTI have always given a donation to our giveaway cars and I don't care what the cost they're number one in our books. Beside they fit like a glove. Ask for Sam.

Copyoffront.jpg

MATS2008049sm.jpg

I have tti's on my current duster and had them on my previous one,only brand i'll use..

-
Back