TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
Anybody got any pics of the mods you had to do to the compressor mount to use TTI's spool mounts? Sam @ TTI told me all you need to do is saw the top mount off the back of the compressor and they fit. Looks to me like the spool mount is gonna be tighter'n a nun's.....well, you know! I already figured out where and how I'm going to have to ding the front header tube to get it to clear the compressor. It's just the fit of the spool motor mount on the drivers side I'd like to see if someone has pics. I never expected this stuff to just fall in and work, and I ain't afraid to hack and weld....lol. Thanks in advance. :prayer:

The compressor must be moved up, is the only way with spool mounts that I've seen. The tti spool mounts mount where the compressor mounts in the rear, and even with clearancing the compressor, the mount and compressor still try to occupy the same space. After much diliberation and fitting, I ended up biting the bullet and doing an Alterkation front end. Problem solved!...wallet is a lot lighter though.

Gdemon I think did a custom bracket on his A/C compressor to move it up.

Gdemon's is not spool mounts. Here is a few pics I took with the k member out.

I'm going to try to make a bracket for the Harrison r4. I did some test fitting, and it looks like it should work with minimal k member clearancing. I'm planning on trying to keep my factory power steering, so I'm not sure how the hemi one would do with manual steering and a heavy offset. Gdemon's is a heavy offset, if I remember correctly. Offset outside and above the manual steering maybe?

cf81f631.jpg

a89a3fc1.jpg

739a4b13.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics so far, keep em coming! The pic with the mount real close to the compressor....does the thru bolt head clear the compressor housing with the compresssor modified like TTI says to do it? That's my main concern. I'd rather not move the compressor if I don't have to. I don't mind the manual steering deal. I need to get my oil pan on my motor,install the mounts and set it in the k frame while it's out of the car so I can fight with it where I have room....lol. :violent1:

They said if you cut the mount of the very back of the compressor, that the spool mount will fit. If I remember right, he told me the one you cut off is the one where the spool mount bolts to the block. That still leaves 3 bolts holding the compressor, which would be plenty.

There's no way that would work. The two measurements you see are 6" from the spool bolt to the outer edge of the power steering pulley, and 8.5" for the AC compressor body, assuming you cut the tab off. The TTI spool mount is on the front side of the old rear AC mount hole in the block.

I went to double check just now. You got my hopes up for a moment!

You're right.....ain't no way that will work! I installed the drivers side mount, and bolted the drivers side header on this evening, after removing the compressor. It's not even close to fitting. I think I've got it figured out though. I think I can space the compressor out a few inches, cut the back lower mount off, and get a little longer belt...and it will work. Jeez....I just HAD to stumble into this 6K mile Hemi for dirt cheap didn't I? :banghead: LOL

It may take me several days to get to where I can try it. I need to get another engine stand so I can mount the Hemi on it and install the Milodon pan on it. Then I can set the motor down in the k frame and bolt it down. I'd hate to make the compressor fit the motor while it's sitting on a pallet, only to find out it bangs into the k frame when I drop the motor on it. I'll post pics when I get something worth looking at....lol. :D

I've decided to move the motor mount instead of moving the AC pump. I got the motor bolted into the car today, and stuck a raggedy old 727 on it to get it to sit where it's supposed to. I'm going to make a fixture to hold the drivers side front of the motor still, and then unbolt the TTI mount. Then I'm going to cut the spool mount off the k frame. Instead of trying to hack the TTI mount, I'm just going to make a new one that bolts to the same 4 holes as the factory LX mount did. After I get the new mount made, and the spool mount moved straight back on the k frame about 3 inches....I should have plenty of room for the AC pump if I cut the mount off the back of it and just use 3 holes. I may have to modify the k frame under the AC pump for enough clearance, but won't know that till I get the friggin motor mount outta the way...lol.
Duster006.jpg

I did have enough sense to grind the welds loose on the front of the spool mount, towards the front of the k frame. I left the bottom leg welded, and can reach it with the sawzall with the motor still in. This way, I can remove the old mount from the k frame with the motor still in. Then I can fab it to work with where ever the new motor mount I'm making lands after I make it clear the header tubes. I suppose nothing worth doing is ever easy! :violent1:

Duster008.jpg

Isn't the back of the ac compressor supposed to hace an "ear" cut off to fir without cutting and moving the motor mounts? Just asking.

Yep....it's supposed to, but it ain't happening. It fits about like Rosie Odonnell trying to get into Angelina Jolies jeans! :snorting: Even after moving the spool mount back on the k frame and making a new mount to bolt on the block, I'll still have to ding a header tube slightly to get a little more clearance.

I finally got a little time to make everything live together in my Duster! I had to cut the drivers side saddle off the k frame, and move it back. I started out by taking the AC compressor off, and laying it aside. I then mounted the motor in the car using the TTI spool mounts that came with my headers. When I bought the stuff from TTI, Sam was right up front with telling me the AC compressor on a 5.7 Hemi that came out of a car wasn't going to be a bolt in. I dropped the motor into the car with a dummy 727 to get everything located where it's supposed to be. I stood under the car and did a lot of head scratching, and came up with a solution. I made a temporary support, and welded it to the k frame under the drivers side front corner of the oil pan. I used a paint paddle and strip of metal to keep from dinging my Moroso pan. Then I cut the old saddle off the k frame, and cut the drivers side mount I got from TTI apart. I did a little trimming to the 2 rear mounts of the AC compressor, and mounted it back on the motor. Then I installed the drivers side header, and came up with this motor mount for the drivers side.
Motormount003.jpg

View from the front, after I got it tacked in and mounted the AC compressor back. You can also see my temporary mount. It's simply a thickwall tube welded to the top of the k frame, and a bolt dropped down in it. I also put a nut on it to be able to adjust the bolt up against the motor to hold it in the exact place the TTI mount had it to start with. You can also see where I trimmed off part of the lower back mount of the AC comp. to clear the k frame. I had a friend over on Moparts make me some 1/2 stainless steel spacers to move the compressor away from the #1 header tube just a little. I'll need to get a slightly longer belt, but it now fits great!
Motormount005.jpg

Steering box and headers in for the test fit. I hope I never have to cuss a cat in there......cause there ain't room! It all fits and clears now though.
Motormount006.jpg

Looking up at it from the bottom. Now I have the motor pulled back out, so I can remove the k frame and weld the motor mount saddle to the k frame good and solid. After that, it's time to take the sawzall to the floorpan to make the 545RFE fit. :D
Motormount007.jpg

-
Back