tti's/powermaster starter no fit with 904/B&M flexplate

-

sb 66 valiant

Reaction score
i finally got the motor/tranny/headers in the car. took a bit of creativity.
installed the steering box first, then the header(ds) and put the steering column in and installed roll pin. then in went the torsion bar. over to the pass. side and held the header in place and installed the torsion bar. tranny was already hanging, so we hooked the motor and slipped it down between the headers, bolted it to the tranny, installed the schumacher mounts/brackets to the motor and dropped it. bam done, 3 hr 2man header install. so much for taking all weekend and being patient! fit is tight, had to change tranny mount to shortest one available so tubes cleared torsion bars, and will have to strap motor down, and tranny tail because if this thing wiggles (it IS going to want to wiggle!) the tubes will be buzzing the torsion bars. to get the oil filter adapter on i had to unbolt the header and hold it with one hand while the other was fishing the adapter into place and getting the bolt in.
on to the real issue: i am running a 904 with low 1-2 gear, reverse manual valve body, deep pan, kevlar this and that, etc... with a B&M flexplate. i went to put the starter in (powermaster #9543) and it will not clear the flexplate. WTF!:angryfir: talk about livid. the round head interfeers with the flexplate by about 1/2". i would have to grind or mill in about 1/2" and back about 3/8".
which will get into the set screws to lock the clock position. kinda defeats the purpose of a $243 starter (before shipping) that i had to wait 2 mos for.
If tti is pushing this starter like it MUST be purchased to go with their headers and auto tranny they are full of shi-! they had best do a little more r&d on this p.o.s. what if a guy wants to actually RACE his car and wants a flexplate that is sfi approved and wont blow up while perforating the floorpan?
this motor-crank-pistons, rods (373" 340 block) is balanced within 2 tenths of a gram with this flexplate and harmonic balancer, so there is no way i am going to put in a wimpy little stock flexplate (whick looks like it will hit as well)
and weld weights on the converter. we took a lot of time to balance this thing at the machine shop, and i refuse to mess with the balance job untill i blow the motor up!
Here is the kicker: the $70 mini starter from the 440 source slipped right in and will clear/work just fine! luckily i had a few stock type mini's hanging around.
i remember awhile back someone had mentioned the possibility or not needing the powermaster with the 904 on the other tti thread, they are correct.
thanks for dealing with my rant, anyoye else had a similar problem?

i called mancini, where i purchased the starter/headers, they said i have to call tti, so the BS continues. will call them at noon my time (central florida)
and post back what they have to say. thought ya'll would like to be informed of any glitches with this stuff before you fork out close to $1100 for a set of headers and a starter that wont work. later

i spoke with a tech at tti this afternoon, he said the standard mini will work, and the powermaster is not needed for a 904. they dont have a problem with me returning the starter as long as i have not hurt or modified it. (which i have not done, have not even put power to it)
then i called mancini back and spoke with the guy i normally deal with there (Wes, pretty good guy) instead of whoever i talked with this morn. and got a return # to send it back to mancini for the credit on my card. what a pita for something that is supposed to work/fit.

Soooo- if any one is planning to run a 904 derivitave with a b&m flexplate and the tti headers don't buy the powermaster starter, just get the new $70 mini unit from the 440 source or a mini from any local junkyard and it will work nicely.

What a bite! The starter cost was the biggest factor in me cancelling my order after last years carlisle show. $250 added to the cost of the headers was just to much to swallow.I went thru hell getting an exhaust shop to hook up to my spitfires!

](*,)I also used a power master starter with my tti insatll your all right tti is foolish using pw *** a source for starters and they sent me a starter with no nose on it like the kind for chevy or what ever i called there tech. spprt the family owned co., they told me how wrong i was and that the starter was correct this thing was just slopyy ploppy all over the place all it had was a gear drive thaT STUFFED INTO MY BELL HOUISING THERE WAS NO NOSE THAT KEYED INTO MY BELL HOUSING I SENT THEM MAY DUST SHEILD THAT THEY ASKED FOR I DONT KNOW WHY refused to pay for shipping then i sent the starter back to them all of a sudden this starter shows up at my house with a nose peice off of stock starter on my power master starter no eplanation on why its not a cncd peice like they said it would be and so i called them they said oh yeh our mopar friend helped them out but thell call me when they cnc the front peice oh yea still waiuting for call 4 years later you think they would test fit these fing things will not us them ever again any thing but that!!!!

I just recently did a 360 Magnum swap into my Scamp. TTI Headers, B&M Flexplate, 904 and used a starter out of a Dakota. The only fitment issues I had was raising the motor up in the mounts about a 1/4" to make sure the TTI's didn't rub against the steering box.

I believe the instructions from TTI says you can use the mopar mini starter with the 904 and the stock 10 inch flywheel. I believe my flywheel is a 10.5 from Keisler and the Powermaster starter fits perfect on the Lakewood bellhousing. A mopar mini-starter works but hits the headers on my application. Is your B&M flywheel 10 inches?

47b7d910b3127cceb97e1628cb2700000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b7d910b3127cceb97e2a994ab800000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

ah you said flex plate. different thing. good to know.

duster/scamp, 67-up guys: this issue pertains to the 63-66 model cars, the newer a bodies require a totally different set of headers. not pissing on anyones toes, just hoping to eliminate any confusion.
dave: it may have been you that mentioned the possibility of NOT needing the powermaster unit, i covered you in my first post;)
all the instructions i can find point to needing the special (clocking unit) for the 904, even the guys at mancini say it is required, that is the ONLY reason i bought the pos. shucks, if you take a good look at the big old stock style starter it looks like one could do a little grinding on the solenoid housing and make it work! thanks all

-
Back