TTIs Vs. Doug's

-

jahsh

Reaction score
I'm wondering if folks want to put in their .02cents on which would be a better choice, the new TTI's or the old Doug's?

Considering the fact that I already have a MP mini-starter, my guess is overall the Doug's would be cheaper. List price on Summit is $780 -coated.

Are there differences in the overall fit? I know TTI makes a good set of headers, but I also haven't heard bad things about Doug's either.

Thanks for the opinions.

The Dougs D-450 are 1 5/8's primary tubes into 2 1/2 collector and will work with your mini statrer. The TTI's are a stepped header with 1 3/4 primary with 3" collector and must use a powermaster starter. TTI also make a complete exhaust kit for an early A, but maybe can be modified to fit the Dougs. Both sets are costly, but hey it's only money!
I have my TTI's on order for my 65 Cuda so I can't tell you about fit on either set.
Check out
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=9376&highlight=early
http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,185.0.html

I think the Dougs only have 2.5" collector. TTI have a 3" Probably only matters on high HP motor.

I have seen Dougs installed on cars,
and talked to the owners, they said the Doug's headers,
were a slight pain to install, but they were very happy with them.

I am using the stock 273 Manifolds on a Not stock 318.

I had to use a Copper exhaust gasket, on the drivers side,
to seal a minor exhaust leak, but am happy with the duals,
that the local Midas installed for me.

The other question is if you have power steering. Doug's requires manual steering. And both require the 90* oil filter adapter and a ministarter. The ministarter you have retails around $100 for a good one and the tti powermaster ministarter is $240. So you save maybe $140, but you already have a ministarter. You still have to go down to a muffler shop and get the dual exhaust done.

I went with the tti's because in the end you are only going save a couple hundred bucks by going with the Doug's when it's all said and done. The tti setup is complete...very complete. Not sure about the install headaches yet but will soon.

daves66valiant said:
The other question is if you have power steering. Doug's requires manual steering. And both require the 90* oil filter adapter and a ministarter.

I converted the car to fast ratio manual and have a remote oil filter, so in-terms of both of these issues, I'm good to go with either set.

Thanks for all the opinions so far. I wasn't thinking about the differences in tube size, so thanks for pointing this out.

Sounds like Doug's will be the way to go if you want to save some money. I looked at some last weekend and they look nice. This guy had a 64 Barracuda and had to have Doug himself custom make the set because there were some fitting issues with the set he had bought. :scratch: Total cost for him was almost $2,000.

For a warmed up street small block with around 400hp the 2.5 in. is plenty according to tti.

Love the paint on your barracuda. Got any other pictures. Engine combo.

I got my doug's for around $700 but they were a set that had been sitting around. They are not that bad to install, however the column shift linkage arm had to be cut off the column. They are close to the brake lines, master cyl and prop valve. I don't know if the tti's give any more clearance in those areas. All in all, they are a great header and I can use any mini starter, in fact the $70.00 one I bought on ebay works great. The coated finish is polished and they look great. I recommend them.

daves66valiant said:
Love the paint on your barracuda. Got any other pictures. Engine combo.

Here is a pic of the engine that was just put back-in. First go around an ARP rod bolt decided to strip during the break-in period, now we are just getting back to square one. Without going into too many detials (no time right now), it is a rebuilt 340 which should be around 400hp.

I really need to update my website so I can just send folks interested in the car to there.

I like the paint color as well - it has really grown on me. It was the POs choice.

Picture 053l.JPG

very nice looking engine bay. Goodluck with the Doug's

I purchased a set of Dougs for my 67
fit-up was good, gaskets good, header bolts sucked, water jack bolts leaked
had to use diffrent bolts 4 holes

6 months after I installed, coating on one tube looked thin and rusty, called them up they will recoat for free, I live 10 minutes away no big deal.
customer service was good

anybody got any pictures of Doug's headers installed? how's the ground clearance compared to the TTIs?

They have good ground clearance,they tuck up nice.Mine fit nicely.One thing I did to mine was I cut off the 2-1/2" collectors and had a muffler shop open them to 3" and welded new flanges on them.I was running them on a 12/1 408 Eddy motor.I probably lost a bit of power because of the small header tube size(1-5/8)but this thing made crazy Torque!I ran a best of 10.91 @ 124 with a 1.52 60ft footbracking through mufflers.The suspension on my car is nothing special SS springs & snubber.I think that with a better converter and a bigger carb I could have run mid 10's no problem with these headers.I think that with a 360 the smaller tubes are the way to go but with a 400ci plus motor there is power in bigger pipes...........my 2 cents

52CudaBobWheelin2.jpg

cudabob said:
They have good ground clearance,they tuck up nice.Mine fit nicely.One thing I did to mine was I cut off the 2-1/2" collectors and had a muffler shop open them to 3" and welded new flanges on them.I was running them on a 12/1 408 Eddy motor.I probably lost a bit of power because of the small header tube size(1-5/8)but this thing made crazy Torque!I ran a best of 10.91 @ 124 with a 1.52 60ft footbracking through mufflers.The suspension on my car is nothing special SS springs & snubber.I think that with a better converter and a bigger carb I could have run mid 10's no problem with these headers.I think that with a 360 the smaller tubes are the way to go but with a 400ci plus motor there is power in bigger pipes...........my 2 cents

Killer! I'm hoping my best will get into the 12's. I'm sure I'm running to big header for my 340, 1 7/8 tube with 3 1/2 collector.

As far as the Dougs and TTIs go now that they are available I would go with one or the other instead of going fenderwells.

Lee

I ran a 360(10/1)with X heads and a 528 mopar cam and got a best of 11.88 at 113.This was with the dougs pipes with 2-1/2 exaust 3800 converter,904,28x9 slicks,456gear.A good combo that was a lot of fun to drive on the street,just no highway driving.Good luck .I am sure you will get some 12 second runs.With that large a pipe on a small motor the car may run better with mufflers on it rather than open tubes.

An update - Actually found the doug's for $650 coated!! They should be shipped straight from Doug's tomorrow. yeah!!

From my previous experience this is a really good price. Here is the website. They only have the non-coated versions listed, but if you call they can order the coated.

http://www.performancecenter.com/autoparts/dougs_headers/headers/dugd450-r.html

I'll send pictures once we have them installed.

Jahsh, that's killer on the price. That's awesome, can't wait for the pictures.

Lee

one concern i have with the Doug's is all the joins on them. I was talking to a guy at Fall Fling and he said he had problems with leaks and I was wondering how you seal the slip joints without making it difficult/impossible to take the header apart again?

I use a bit of rtv on mine and they don't leak.Never had a problem.

Can anybody tell me how the TTI's & Doug's Headers fit when the bellhousing has been swapped to allow for a 10.5" Clutch? I talked to a guy at Doug's today & he wasn't sure. He emailed me a copy of the installation instructions but they don't say anything helpful. It looks like maybe the TTI's might be the way to go with a bigger clutch. Pictures/thoughts anybody?

:burnout:

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]Can anybody tell me how the TTI's & Doug's Headers fit when the bellhousing has been swapped to allow for a 10.5" Clutch? I talked to a guy at Doug's today & he wasn't sure. He emailed me a copy of the installation instructions but they don't say anything helpful. It looks like maybe the TTI's might be the way to go with a bigger clutch. Pictures/thoughts anybody?

:burnout:[/QUOTE]

I'm going through this right now with the Doug's - see the hydraulic clutch discussion. The problem isn't with the larger bellhousing, but with the longer fork and z-bar. My opinion is the same problem would be with the TTI's as well. Somebody did mention that there is two different size forks though, but my 10.5" fork doesn't work with the Doug's - and my guess is that it wouldn't work with the TTI's. My work-around currently is to try and get rid of the fork and z-bar.

Im still running spitfires, but plan on a engine upgrade to a 360 with all sorts of goodies... 240ish dur. and about 550 lift or so... 750 carb, ported heads by ryan j or moparts that flow like crazy, etc. I think the spitfires might hold me back some???? I want to run low 12's...

can someone post a link for me to TTI's early 63-66 header???

thanx ricky

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]Can anybody tell me how the TTI's & Doug's Headers fit when the bellhousing has been swapped to allow for a 10.5" Clutch? I talked to a guy at Doug's today & he wasn't sure. He emailed me a copy of the installation instructions but they don't say anything helpful. It looks like maybe the TTI's might be the way to go with a bigger clutch. Pictures/thoughts anybody?

:burnout:[/QUOTE]

I bought a set of Doug's and am currently going through these issues. I can tell you that I they fit don't with the 10.5" clutch fork and z-bar I have, but will fit the the bellhousing itself. My plan is to try and use a hydraulic clutch. TTI only lists the 10" clutch as well on their info - so IMO I don't think the 10.5" clutch with fork and z-bar will fit either - there just isn't room down there. I would triple check before buying. Here is a thread that has some past discussion on this topic. Somebody said there might be a shorter 10.5" fork you can use, but I haven't been able to confirm or deny this as of yet.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14703

Although before you buy - feel free to double check with TTI, but I have gotten info from another early cuda owner that the TTIs do seem to work with the 10.5 clutch and z-bar, but the Doug's do not seem to do this.

I think if I knew this info before, I would have gotten the TTI's vs. the Dougs. Owell- live and learn.

-
Back