Tucked in 74 Rear Bumper. All Sorts Of Wrong. I Hate it!

-

Glen McKenzie

Reaction score
I tucked in my fiberglass 74 Dart Sport bumper. I can't stand it any longer! I'm not a welder or fabricator. Is there anybody here that sells conversation bumper brackets/kit so I can convert to earlier bumpers? I desperately need to do this car right since it's all sort of wrong at the moment. It's the Malaise Era at it's finest. Willing to pay someone to fab me up something.

IMG_20231002_180958625.jpg

IMG_20231002_181008794.jpg

IMG_20231002_181021499.jpg

Let's see from the side.

and the rear.

Conversion brackets won't fix it. You're at the point where you have to cut fiberglass, and rebond the end back on. Be sure to wear a respirator when you cut the fiberglass.

Yup, that's the problem with the '74+ rear bumpers. They're wider than the back of the car, and they don't look right tucked in.

There's a couple of ways to go about converting to the earlier bumper, but either way you will need a '70-73 bumper and the '70-73 rear bumper brackets as well. Once you have those, you can do one of two things. You can make a set of brackets to go from the old shock mount bumper mount on the frame to the earlier bumper brackets, or, you can just weld in a flat plate into the rear panel.

I've actually done both on my '74. The first thing I did was just make up a set of brackets, you can see that install here.

My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

One side of the earlier bracket mount is already there even on a '74, you just drill out this hole and you have one of the two '70-73 bracket mounts.

img_5231_zpsa80af90a-jpg.jpg

The other bolt in the earlier bumper brackets goes right in the middle of the hole in the tail panel where the old shock mount goes. The first time around I made this bracket
img_5237_zps5212332c-jpg.jpg

This one was welded together from angle stock I had on hand. But really, you don't need to weld to make this bracket. You could just buy some 1/4" flat stock, heat it with a propane torch and bend it into a "L" shape to bridge the space between the early bracket and the shock bumper mount in the frame. There are more pictures and a bit more "how to" in the link I posted.

The other way is just to weld up the "D" shaped pass throughs in the rear panel. I did that later after I decided my car was never going back to stock and I didn't care. That work is here
My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

This was with the brackets...
img_3943-jpg.jpg

This is after I welded it up. I made a copy of the original inside frame bracket, like what you see in the first picture, and welded it in behind this too. I did not use the factory outer brackets that bolt in and have a reinforcement welded to the floor panel.
img_3966-jpg.jpg

With either method, you will end up with a gap between the body and the bumper. The '70-'73 cars had a flange on the tail panel that covered this gap.

So with the earlier bumper installed on the '74+ car, you have a gap because the bumper recess is just flat, like this
img_5239_zps989e8713-jpg.jpg

This is the end piece on a '74+, which is flat
IMG_3942.JPG

This is from a '70-73. This doesn't have the quarter, but the quarter has a matching lip that gets welded to this one
IMG_1937.JPG

So eventually on my car I made that flange and welded it in to mimic the earlier corners
img_3955-jpg.jpg

And fill the gap.
img_3967-jpg.jpg

But even with the gap the '70-'73 bumper looks MUCH better, and you can accomplish that with no welding at all. Just drill out the factory hole through the bracket that's already there, and bend an "L" shape bracket out of some heavy duty flat stock and drill 2 holes in it. Piece of cake!

I took a 3/4 inch slice out of each side mid way...
Brought the side's in nicely...
Though about taking all out of the middle but the license plate wouldn't fit... LOL...
the front worked fine, just riveted to the valence under the grill..
I called a couple manufacturers and asked them why they didn't shrink the fiberglass bumpers at the factory? They said they expected the customer to do that? To me that just doesn't make sense if they know that's what you're gonna do, they could do it forehand... Or at least offer them that way it's not rocket science...

IMG_20180411_153836.jpg

IMG_20180411_165614.jpg

IMG_20180413_160807.jpg

72bluNblu,

Thank you! You're very helpful! So, you just use 73 and earlier bumper brackets with that angle stock?

72bluNblu,

Thank you! You're very helpful! So, you just use 73 and earlier bumper brackets with that angle stock?

Yes sir, just a '70-73 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport rear bumper and the brackets that go with it.

The frame rail already should have the bracket behind the panel with the hole in it to locate one of the bracket bolts, you just have to drill it out. The tooling for the axle stub wasn't changed from the earlier style. From the outside it's here
img_5227_zps7702bd3e-jpg.jpg

And from the backside it looks like this
img_5231_zpsa80af90a-jpg-jpg.jpg

Then you just need something to go between the earlier bracket and the later shock mount bumper bracket hole, which is what I did with the angle stock. Although yeah, if I had to do it again I'd just get a piece of 1/4" or 3/16" flat stock and bend a 90° on it in a vise. Way easier than what I did, but I didn't have the flat stock and I did have the angle stock so that's what I used.

If you enjoy modifying fiberglass- you could cut & narrow your existing bumper. They’d be body work after, and painting or a chrome wrap.

J Par,
That's very clever! Did you just tie it all back together with fiberglass?
So what I did was fitted up there like you did and determined I needed about 3/4 of an inch out of each side to fit nice and snug to within an eighth to a quarter of an inch... after that, I measured the whole thing measured center and then pulled back to what I felt was 1/4 of the way and try to do that evenly on both sides top and bottom to the best I could... then I put a piece of 3/4 inch wide blue tape down for what i wanted cut it out. Then I put a piece of tape on either side of that and pulled that original tape out of the center and made my cut there...
After that, to reconnected, I just used 8th inch thick trips of aluminum on the backside, drilled holes and riveted....
If you expand the picture you can see that clearly...
My thought was to always fiberglass everything in on the backside and smooth the aluminum rivets off on the face side and fill in with a little bit of fiberglass resin....
But for now, it just gives us a little bit of an industrial look which the whole car has that kind of Mad MAX vibe to it...

-
Back