Tuff Steering wheel and adapter

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Ok so I picked up a Tuff Steering for dirt cheap that came with an adaptor already. The guy said he had it on an E body however the adapter I have is not the 'ribbed' kind that I've been told are correct for E bodies. It looks more like an A body style. The outer part is 3 1/2" and the full length is 4".

Also, how can I tell if this is a real Tuff wheel and not a reproduction? It looks old enough to be one lol. It is 14.5" in diameter. It seems like the grant steering wheels are either 13 or 15"

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

That adaptor will work on all 70 and up Mopar columns. It will work on an E-Body column but it will not be correct. The ribbed crush can is correct for an E-Body. The E-Body is the only one that used a different steering wheel adaptor all the other Mopar lines, including trucks, used the adaptor you have.

Hoe

That adaptor will work on all 70 and up Mopar columns. It will work on an E-Body column but it will not be correct. The ribbed crush can is correct for an E-Body. The E-Body is the only one that used a different steering wheel adaptor all the other Mopar lines, including trucks, used the adaptor you have.

Hoe

Sweet, I think I might have got a hell of a deal. Picked everything up for $40 and I've been seeing the adapters go for around $60 themselves. The foam on the wheel is a little loose but not too bad. How do those adapters pop off? I'd like to repaint it.

yea id say it a real wheel the repos,, the foam reaches further down the spokes if you look at them, unless you spend big money on a factory correct wheel

First carefully pull off the horn button. Then remove the 3 nuts holding the adaptor to the wheel and unplug the switch from the adaptor.

Joe

First carefully pull off the horn button. Then remove the 3 nuts holding the adaptor to the wheel and unplug the switch from the adaptor.

Joe

thanks I saw the nuts underneath the button but wasn't sure if that just popped off or something.

Any tips for repainting that adapter? As you can see in the picture its got a little bit of rust on it. Sand/prime/paint?

When I restore columns and adaptors I always clean the paint/rust off with a wire wheel on my bench grinder. Then I wetsand the parts starting with 220 going down to around 600 until the surfaces are smooth. Then I prime the parts with a good sandable primer and when the primer is dry I sand off the high spots and if needed prime a final time. For paint I like the SEM Trim black. It has a very subtle sheen and light texture to it and looks great for columns and interior parts. In fact I am planning on painting all of the trim including the dash frame in my 72 RR with this paint ans well as all of the plastic trim on the outside of the body.

Do not lose the nuts for the adaptor, they are a special nut and I am not sure if they are reproduced.

Joe

When I restore columns and adaptors I always clean the paint/rust off with a wire wheel on my bench grinder. Then I wetsand the parts starting with 220 going down to around 600 until the surfaces are smooth. Then I prime the parts with a good sandable primer and when the primer is dry I sand off the high spots and if needed prime a final time. For paint I like the SEM Trim black. It has a very subtle sheen and light texture to it and looks great for columns and interior parts. In fact I am planning on painting all of the trim including the dash frame in my 72 RR with this paint ans well as all of the plastic trim on the outside of the body.

Do not lose the nuts for the adaptor, they are a special nut and I am not sure if they are reproduced.

Joe

Where can I pick up some SEM Trim Black? Is it available in a spray can?

The SEM Trim black is only available in a spray can and you can pick it up whereever you buy paint and body supplies. It may also be available at some auto parts stores.

Joe

-
Back