TUFF STEERING WHEEL QUESTIONS...

-

rch105

Reaction score
After searching the forums, I was unable to find the answers to some questions I have about the Tuff Steering Wheel for the 1972 Dodge Demon 340.

Can anyone enlighten me on the correct finish on the spokes? There are 2 spoke finishes, satin and polished. What's correct for '72?

Also, my memory no longer serves me kindly, so what material covered the spokes? Was it leather or a foam. If it's leather, was it a 90 degree pinch stitch or what?

And finally, has anyone had a positive experience with any restorer and if so, can you provide a name, website and phone number?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer (my '71 SuperBee had satin spokes and a rubber grip with a simulated pinch-seam, IIRC) - interested to see if you get a line on a good restorer!

As far as I know all the tuff wheels were the same with brushed finish spokes.
Later year Cordoba's brought about colored grips other than the standard musclecar black.
light and dark blue, red, tan or yellow are some I remember seeing.
They all are foam injected into a mold made from a hand stitched wheel. So they appear stitched when
not.
The chrome finish and leather stitched wheels are not made by Mopar.

ssba, I purchased a new 1971 Duster 340 in December 1970. I ordered this car with the Tuff wheel option. It came with polished spokes, but I don't recall if it was leather covered or molded. Here's a pic from the few I have.

Duster0005.jpg

Nice photo, what you are calling polished and I am calling brushed appears to be the same finish from what I see in your picture. That is how I remember them.
I have also seen wheels with chrome plated wheels that have the reflection of a bumper. But only more recent. I always figured they were a more modern aftermarket.

I had a 80 Mirada with a blue Tuff wheel. My dad had a 79 Ramcharger with a red one. Both were brushed finish.

Ask user "- Marvin -". He recently purchased a 1972 Demon 340 (swiss made) with a Tuff Steering Wheel. Maybe he can help you. Pictures of the car and the interior you can find in the garage.

Here are some pics:
i36554-jpg.1714917432

i36553-jpg.1714917431

All the factory ones I've seen have been brushed.

However, I've noticed some differences in the grip.

Some seem to be thinner with a shiny clear coat like finish while others seem to be thicker with a more matte finish.

One of the restoration sites observed two different stitch patters they termed "standard, and "baseball" IIRC.

I personally have not seen this.

I've taken a few close-ups of my wheel. This wheel originally came off a mid to late 70's car. As you can see, it has the brushed finish. My '71 Duster 340 was more polished. Not gleaming like a chrome bumper, but it showed no "brush" marks. What I'd like to do is get the correct finish and style, i.e. leather or molded, and pinch stitch or baseball.

Tuff (2).JPG

Tuff (3).JPG

Tuff (4).JPG

Tuff (5).JPG

Tuff (6).JPG

That's not a "tuff" wheel.

The previous post looks like it's been sanded to remove rust.

no its factory , i'll look for any numbers on it . fits straight on a key in the column type , 70 up .

DSC03734.JPG

The only multiple hole spoke, which was a 2 spoke wheel for 1972 was on the B & J lines (Cuda/Challenger's). never saw the one you showed on any '72 A-Bodies. Maybe someone else can help on your's...I'm stumped. :)

thought it was just a year change , never had a 72 a , maybe 70 up e's or 71 later b's. i have this one in a 70 rt chal. but its not as deep as the one in the pic .
DSC03736.JPG
Scan0009_0009.jpg

you see , this is interesting , very interesting . but still , maybe i could start a thread on in . i'm very sure the challenger rt has the vanishing point car steering wheel . but what car is the other one off ?

E body tuff wheels are very different than A/B body wheels.

E body wheels are 2 spoke at the 4 and 8 o'clock position with round holes in the spokes, and have a hard, thin grip with finger scallops.

IMO not nearly as aesthetically pleasing or functional as the A/B version.

Also IMO the A/B tuff whell is the best factory wheel ever until the 90's when the grips started getting fatter and circumferences smaller across the board. (the70's pontiac trans am wheel is a good close second)

I've got several OEM tuff wheels in my collection and a DCS repro.

If I have time, I'll snap some pics.

...and the consensus from the other thread is the mystery wheel is AMC.

I'm 99.9% sure of it.

That's not a bad looking wheel, and seems very functional.

yy1 , thanks for the info . as i said in the other thread , got a cj5 or two . i'll try it on one . but thanks to all that kept me on the right course . well its still mopar , right , lol !

-
Back