Tuff Wheel fitment

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Attempting to set my Tuff Wheel.. There's a "flat" spot on both the adapter and steering column splines.. When these are lined up, my steering wheel is out of position. Is there a way to "spin" or change position of the adapter splines so that the steering wheel sets correct..?
0615212015.jpg

0615212022_HDR~2.jpg

0615212016_HDR~2.jpg

Steering box wasn’t centered when it was installed.
I took a pic of the original steering wheel just before removing... Didn't even notice how far off it was.. I was just looking at my wheels/tires... Ok, how do I fix that...lol

I took a pic of the original steering wheel just before removing... Didn't even notice how far off it was.. I was just looking at my wheels/tires... Ok, how do I fix that...lol
0615211850.jpg

Pull your column back off the steering box and reinstall with wheel strait.

Pull your column back off the steering box and reinstall with wheel strait.
Never removed column... Do I unbolt from firewall and just pull it back ..? Is it attached at the steering box..? Sorry for the questions, but like I said, I've not done this before.

Roll pin at the box, punch that out. Remove bolts at fire wall inside at the base of the column. And the bolts that hold it to the dash. Pull it back off of the splines, might need to help it move off the splines on the box. Penetrating oil is your friend here.

Roll pin at the box, punch that out. Remove bolts at fire wall inside at the base of the column. And the bolts that hold it to the dash. Pull it back off of the splines, might need to help it move off the splines on the box. Penetrating oil is your friend here.
Thanks for the info....!! I'll tackle it tomorrow..

Attempting to set my Tuff Wheel.. There's a "flat" spot on both the adapter and steering column splines.

Yes align them.

Install as splined and do an alignment! Assuming your steering box is also aligned with the splines correct!

Toe adjust with the wheel locked at center will correct this!

Last edited:
Centering is done by adjusting the tie rods evenly when an alignment is done. Otherwise the steering box is not centered and causes a wandering problem. Kim

Was your steering wheel centered when the car was driving straight before you removed it?

If so, the new wheel should also be centered.

If it wasn't, I agree adjusting the tie rod ends is the proper way to center the wheel.

It's not that hard. Turn both sleeves the exact same amount in the same direction.
Mark them with a paint pen.
This will not change the alignment.
If you are concerned, measure the toe before and after to make sure it didn't change.

Most likely you just need an alignment. If the wheel was upside down then it could be that the steering coupler was installed 180 out. There is a master spline on the steering coupler and steering box. The end of the coupler has a small notch in it that lines up with the master spline. There is also a small hole in the end of the steering shaft. That hole needs to be in-line with the master spline. If they are on opposing ends, the wheel will be upside down. Since yours is only 1/4 off, you probably just need an alignment. I'd double check that the coupler is on the steering shaft correctly though.

-
Back