Tuff Wheel Repair

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I just received a used Tuff wheel that I bought online. Price was apparently a little too good to be true. While the foam doesn't have any cracks and the metal is in pretty good shape, the foam on the upper portion is not adhered to the steel core in the arc between the top two spokes. It's all in one piece but when you grab the wheel in that area you can rotate the foam around the core, forwards and back. The lower part seems to be bonded well. Anyone run into this before and come up with a fix? I have a couple thoughts but am looking for BTDT. My original thought was to try my hand at stitching a leather cover over the foam, so the repair doesn't have to look perfect, but I have to get it bonded back to the core.

I had one like this in the late 80's.

I used a thin gauge needle to inject super glue from an inconspicuous spot on the back side.

I think I may have done 2 places equidistant from the center and the places where the foam stopped being loose.

Worked great.

kind of a common problem.

I also remember that you couldn't readily see or even feel the puncture points.

Victory was mine!

I had one like this in the late 80's.

I used a thin gauge needle to inject super glue from an inconspicuous spot on the back side.

I think I may have done 2 places equidistant from the center and the places where the foam stopped being loose.

Worked great.

kind of a common problem.
That's the way I was leaning but over-thinking it with a viscous two part epoxy and making a couple slits in the faux seam on the inside diameter and then injecting as much as would go in and squish it around. Super glue might be easier if the working time is long enough.

Pic's would help
Actually I don't think they would. Looks like a 95% condition wheel. No visual clue that anything is wrong. I guess the PO would twist on the upper grip area and it broke loose from the core, but isn't torn on the surface.

The looseness comes from age. Many do that. As stated earlier, it’s not really a big deal to fix it by injecting glue etc. It’s done all the time. Kim

The looseness comes from age. Many do that. As stated earlier, it’s not really a big deal to fix it by injecting glue etc. It’s done all the time. Kim

I'm sure that age is part of it. It feels like it is a pretty clean separation so I'm hopeful I'll be able to re-bond the cushion to the core.

-
Back