tune in cable shift 904 anyone got hints?

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
hi there FABO guys,

i hope you can give some hints regarding fine tunning my 904 cable-shift trans (PB-trans with console in a 65 Barracuda)

last Weekend we pulled the trans to change the front pump seal and also changed the converter.

after installing the trans (refering to the instructions of an old service manual) we ended up with the following "suspecious" behavior

when moving the lever from P to R to N to D etc. everything is fine and the changes are in line with the pattern on the console but when moving from 1 to 2 to D to N to R to P ; 1,2,D are changing as the should but N and R are a bit out. I have to slightly but the shifter towards R to get N, but when it has changed into N, i could move it backward and it will stay there, also for R i have to move slightly beyond the R Position.

any hints ... in which direction should i turn the adjuster-wheel where the cabel is locked into the trans ? Looks like i need more tension on the cable, or ? so it should be turning the adjuster clockwise

hope you all understand my explanations... not easy for a German Guy :D

You did the whole 5 holes clockwise on the wheel from first contact,right? Turning the wheel clockwise would add tension. Did you lubricate the cable? My book only tells how to adjust with push button shifter. It says reverse must be held firmly the entire time til done.( reverse button pushed in firmly.) Maybe you should have the shift lever held by someone or locked down in reverse somehow while its adjusted. If you already have done all this try adding w little tension. Or look into the shifter for a way to adjust it. I will see what info I might find elsewhere. You will get it right.

thanks hangnOut, yes i did the 5 holes adjustment, and for a console shifter you have to put it in 1 and hold it firmly there, which was done that way.

Sure you have seen this other thread that just got started on transmissions. Good stuff, try it.

-
Back