Tuning Issues

-

xlexl

Reaction score
I've been debating about asking for quite a while now. Mostly because there is a lot of pertinent information needed that I just don't have. However I'm at my wits end. not sure anyone will be able to help but maybe with you knowing what's running through my head you can either debunk or confirm I'm on the right track

Beggining: bought my '68 cuda with a 440 "running" and "driving", the motor is a mystery other than it sounds healthy with atleast a mild cam, odd collection of parts. 800 edelbrock, streetmaster intake, hi5 box old moroso oil bathed coil, stock vacuum advanced distrubitor, hooker pro comp fender well headers and wiring that looked like a teenage ricer with a background in wiring nuts got to it. Wasn't charging so rewired everything and went dual field, swapped coil for a blaster ss. Rebuilt carb with jet kit and did tune up. Got started on dialing it in. First thing I noticed was the timing was advanced almost 40degrees. which explained hard starts and the fact it felt held back. Adjusted timing As far advanced as I could go while maintaing good cold and hot starts which ended up around 18 deg. When I dropped timing though it started back firing out of pass exhaust perfusly at around 1500+ during neutral back pressure (no accel or decel) in addition a dead spot appeared just off of idle, as long as you accelerated lightly it would bog out for a moment than take off like a bat out of hell. If accelerated any harder it bogs out and dies bit fires right up afterwords. Once your past that point in the throttle the power band is extreemly nice with plenty of throttle response and power. First thought was acc pump in carb but it's squirting good even tried different sizes with no change. Next thought was the old oem dist. Mechanical advance was cruddy and not working right so I swapped for a reman no change (no money for adjustable curve aftermarket dizzy) I've tried tuning the carb and dizzy over and over trying diff stuff to no avail. Plus side is that the power is better than ever now minus backfiring and dead spot.....

My first thought is that the cam is bigger than the stock dizzy can handle. I have noticed mech timing advance is not smooth.

Second thought is hi5 box is old and worn out and on the fritz, not buying this much but I'm to the point I'm so frustrated that I'm grasping at straws.

Wondering if the driver side header being slightly bent when it was installed is causing back fires out of pass side.

Any ideas guys?

Did you ever think about going with the Mopar Electronic ignition swap? That may help out.

Hadn't crossed my mind, looking at them now, does the control box take the place of the hi5 box?

Never mind it does lol. So basically the same thing I'm thinking, a dizzy with magnetic pickups vs points.

440source pro billet distributor is on craigslist for 60bucks probably going to run up to seattle and try it out this weekend.

-
Back