tunnel ram..questions... good buy?

-

Scat Pack

Reaction score
so im planning on building a 360 for my dart and locally a friend of mine knows a guy that wants to sell me a tunnel ram with carbs. i have a couple of questions. first, is it worth 300 bucks as long as its in good condition? i havent seen it yet. second, what kind of build necessitates a tunnel ram? can i do anything on a budget and still make that a viable option? or is it just too much and i should pass.... the guy also has a 6pack hood for the same car.

originally i was planning on doing a late model magnum build that i read about in a different thread. hopefully you guys will set me straight because i have money burning holes in my pockets

T-Rams are nice. I had one on a stock (no joke) 400 in a 74 Sebring Plus. ran like a charm, great drivability. had 2-600cfm holleys on it.
Its prolly gonna be a weiand t-ram and even if the carbs need rebuilding $300 is a good price. do you know if it comes with the linkage?
if it dosn't that'll set you back a few $$$.

thanks for the info 360Z28, is the linkage hard to come by and expensive or just expensive? any other thoughts welcome. my friend wanted to say the carbs are edelbrocks but i havent seen it yet and he's not 100% sure.

linkage is easy to find. relativly expensive depending on how fancy you want it to be. eddies are nice carbs for that app. T-rams are pretty versitile, you can use it on anything
from a stock setup to a 8 second 1/4mile killer. plus theres that "WOW" factor. esspecially when the see one on a stock engine lol.

Had one on my truck, (360 with two 500 Carters) ran great, made more power than any other manifold I had on it, but ran like **** in the cold/moist, and burned the gas!

Lke 4mpg. LOL

i appreciate the responses. not too concerned with mileage. just dont wanna spend money on something that wont be useful to me. sounds like i'll give it a shot. thanks guys!

got the t-ram home. i might just install it on the 318 and see what happens... although i was going to save it for my 360.

Tunnel rams are cool, but in my mind only if the car is quick. They kinda look stupid on a 14 sec car if you know what I mean.

i run an eddy street t-ram.it works great.im running 2 450 cfm holleys.its on a 340 in my dart.it did give up a little streetability over a single 4bbl/dual plane but overall it gained power. im also running a 280/290 split duration cam on a 108 lsa and hughes stall converter.the weiand has a larger plennum volume compared to the eddy and low end may suffer a little on a 318 with out some stall/gear and increased cr.but it can be made to run on the street .im very happy with mine.

have an old eddy streettunnelram and i like it alot better than the rpm airgap or the holley stripdominator i also tried even thought i used some way to big carbs, i used two 750 doublepumper proforms on it and i actualy made it fit under my fiberglasshood with a sixpack scoop with some small aircleaners, ran very well and the sound of 8barrels wide open is something that can make any gearhead smile! i have a friend with a 383chevy in a 65malibu running a tunnelram also and the throtleresponsivenes is sick using two 500cfm edelbrocks

alot of the old drag racing greats swore that a tunnel ram, no matter what, would always make more power than a 4bl single plane manifold...and those guys knew what they were doing
for 300 bucks you got a deal! depending on what kinda condition those carbs are in if they need a rebuild (and depending on your combo) maybe some holley 660 center squirters? that would be fun!

I use 2 holley 390's with a eddy street ram - get 12.56 @108 with 3.23's and 16 miles per gallon on the highway.

well im not going to waste my time putting it on the 318. i was kinda joking about that. im actually picking up a super cheap 360 this weekend. here are some pics. the carbs are 1405's so i guess they're 600's. looks like it has some carb spacers too. i've been told i should just get rid of those right off the bat. supposedly the carbs dont need rebuilt. i got it from someone i know so im sure they will be okay, trustworthy guy.

dont forget to post some suggestions in my 360 thread. thanks

10839_371958595536_637650536_10029146_3933813_n.jpg

-
Back