Tunnel work process?

-

ne57

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but...

Can a tunnel be fabbed and welded up with the motor/trans installed or do you take your best measurements after you've removed the old tunnel, yank the motor out and then install the new tunnel and hope you got it right? Would you tack weld your sheetmetal OVER the trans then remove the trans and finish welding with no obstructions? Do you need to weld from under the car or can it all be done from up top?

I'm thinking to build it w trans in place means no mistakes as far as final fit, but maybe harder to reach the joins?

Of course first I would trial fit first to see where there's interference.

Thanks

Really depends on how nice and tight to the trans you want the floor to be, what kind of trans, how much you want the floor to intrude into the passenger compartment, etc.........

In this car it was done with the trans in place because of the low ride height and I didn't want the tunnel huge. You can see that the metal is literally molded around the transmission. This is really an extreme of what to do, as most trans/engine/cars dont require this much work (starting by cutting the tunnel up and mocking up with cardboard)

1-5 updates (2).jpg

1-15-09 updates 003 (2).JPG

Really depends on how nice and tight to the trans you want the floor to be, what kind of trans, how much you want the floor to intrude into the passenger compartment, etc.........

In this car it was done with the trans in place because of the low ride height and I didn't want the tunnel huge. You can see that the metal is literally molded around the transmission. This is really an extreme of what to do, as most trans/engine/cars dont require this much work (starting by cutting the tunnel up and mocking up with cardboard)
Great looking work!!

Yeah, that IS nice looking. Hope mine comes out half as nice. Thanks!

Will tunnel work need to be done if I'm going from a /6 to a 383 with TF-727?

If so, I didn't anticipate that.:cry:

It should fit like a glove, might want to hammer the seam(you'll see it) down a little. I just had to fab up a plate because the kevlar tranny shield we have to run in one of our street cars(required at the et we r runnin) wouldnt let the engine fit without majorly hitting the tranny tunnel so I had to cut a square hole and fab a plate, looks ok will be covered in carpet so nobody will see it,but your deal should go right together if you have the right motormounts.
Jr.

-
Back