turbo 4 barrel

-

silverfox

Reaction score
Hey Guys.. i'm trying to put together /6 turbo with a 4 barrel i was just wondering the best way to make sure of the much needed extra fuel..
i was thinking of a boost reference tube from the boost side to the fuel pump.. but was wondering what was best and what people were useing..
this is my first turbo build .
thanks Rick

Rick
There is a discussion going on over on slantsix.org in the power adder section right now. They are discussing different carbs and how to reference them.
Frank

The section on that site is called Boost & Nitrous, and there isn't any thread dealing with fuel referencing that I could find either. it was discussed on that site that referencing the stock fuel pump only works on lower power levels, apparently because higher levels of boost will just confuse the pump diaphram, but I don't really know the answer to that. I'm told that in draw through systems this doesn't matter as long as you use a pump that can provide a constant pressure. Then it becomes a matter of the needle and seat vs the fuel pressure.

Ok i was in the right spot then..lol..i'm gonna do a blow through set up.. and would rather an electric fuel pump anyway..i'l keep lookin...thanks for your help

Ok i was in the right spot then..lol..i'm gonna do a blow through set up.. and would rather an electric fuel pump anyway..i'l keep lookin...thanks for your help

I think it's a question of how much HP you are going to be making.

A mildly boosted, nearly stock engine might make, say, 200 horsepower and wouldn't need much more fuel than a stock system would deliver, so, up to 5-8- pounds of boost could probably be handled by a stock fuel pump with just a boost reference line from the carb hat to the back side of the diaphragm on a good mechanical pump (maybe a hi-po M-P aftermarket unit.)

But, if you're going after horsepower on a grander scale, say, 15-20 pounds of boost or more, with horsepower in the 300-up range, you're probably going to need a whole new fuel system that would include a 3/8" tank pickup, an electric pump that can deliver 30 pounds of pressure (or, more,) new 3/8" fuel lines, a carb with blow-thru mods (or some sort of EFI) and a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator to cut the pressure back to 6.5 pounds (on top of whatever boost may be present, at the time.)

You don't EVER want the engine (float bowls) to be starved for fuel under any circumstances, as this will create engine-killing detonation, and mechanical carnage wll result, in all probability. Almost guaranteed...

I supercharged my 360 Magnum-powered '72 Valiant and spent inordinately, on my fuel system, but it was the best money I ever spent.

I used 1/2"-dameter, "push-on" hose, and added a fuel cell to the trunk. I plumbed it so I could use the pump gas in the original tank to drive on the street, and once at the strip, turn some valves and run off the racing gas ($$$$$) in the fuel cell for high boost action, and once the racing was over, switch back to the other tank (pump gas) for the drive home.

I installed 2 completely separate, autonomous, fuel line systems so that I could utilize either the tank, or the fuel cell, and either pump (one Holley Blue pump for the street, or an expensive, high pressure/high volume "racing" pump, just by changing the fuel routing by flipping two electrical switches and turning a couple of valves in the system. Both systems go through the same (two) fuel filters.

That way, if one pump "gives up" (and, this has happened) I can switch over to the other system for a backup, and am not stranded.

I am not at all advocating this system for anyone else, it's just what ~I~ did. Your mileage may vary.... 8)

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• 100_2847-2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_2853-3.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_2588.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_2586-1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_2585-2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_2968.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 210
thats an awsum set up Bill .. i was thinking 300 or just under. 10 12 psi of boost..is a boost referace fuel regulator only for EFI or can it be used on a carb set up as well..do you mean 6.5 pounds above boost pressure ? ie 15 psi of boost should have 21.5 psi of fuel pressure. ? if i can get it figured i'l post some pic's .. thanks again

thats an awsum set up Bill .. i was thinking 300 or just under. 10 12 psi of boost..is a boost referace fuel regulator only for EFI or can it be used on a carb set up as well..do you mean 6.5 pounds above boost pressure ? ie 15 psi of boost should have 21.5 psi of fuel pressure. ? if i can get it figured i'l post some pic's .. thanks again

Yes, you got it right. 6.5 (for the carb) plus 15 pounds (to "cover" the boost) would need 21.5 pounds... total.

And, yes, the boost-referenced regulator will be needed with a carb to keep the flaot bowls getting what they need, and to fool them into thinking there's NO boost; they can't handle boost.:evil4:

A blow-thru modified carb will also be needed.

I think you'd better plan on at least a 3/8" fuel system for 15 pounds of boost.

But, on the bright side, that will virtually DOUBLE your horsepower...:cheers:

There are some guys on this board, (Charrlie S, Shaker223, and turbo66valiant) that have been down this road.... I'm a know-nothing newbie. Better, you should be talking to them; they'll give you the straight scoop!!!

Good luck!:study:

thanks again bill you have helped alot already.. this may be a good BirthDay after all..lol

for some odd reason speed shops around here dont know what im talking about when i ask for a carb hat or bonnet .. one shop knew but couldnt help me.. what companys make carb hats ... Mr Gasket ?

Attachments

• 100_3272.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 173
  • js640_turbofront.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 187
-
Back