Turbo 440 Dodge Truck

-

port-holio

Reaction score
Had some requests for pics of my friends truck. Eddy ProFlo MPFI intake, big turbo about the size of a 15L diesel turbo, old RV 440 in an ex forestry service truck. Ported smog heads and an old Purple shaft cam.

The OEM grill was replaced by an enormous intercooler liberated from some on highway semi diesel. It runs MegaSquirt3 ECU now.

catestrophic trans explosion last night:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=171411

hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Big Bird.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,890
  • Jeremy's ProFlo.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3,288
  • Jeremy's Turbo motor.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,982
  • Jeremy's Turbo plumbing.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,516
  • Jeremy's grill.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,621
It ran 14.0s NA with the RV motor with ported smog heads & cam. It ran 13.50's with the Eddy proflo. It was getting into 12's on 150 nitrous shots. (it has 3.91 gears, and was severely rpm limited once power adders started coming into play. It was bouncing off the rev limiter far short of the traps)

No times on the turbo. but it is very angry.

This was a tow truck for his V8 RX7 for a number of years. That car blew up the axle the day before Drag Week 2006 started, so we raced "Big Bird" instead in the big block NA class. Finished like dead last, but made the whole trip and had a blast.

Wicked truck. Diggin' the "Chevy" style intake. :D Does Eddy sell just the intake or do you need the complete system?

Wylde1.

Wow....that stainless turbo exhaust is a work of art! Dang, I didn't even KNOW Eddy made an intake like that for big block Mopars! Hmmmmm.....and I had been dreaming about a six-pack! This changes everything. :burnout:

The intake is awesome. It is basically a sheet metal tunnel ram, scaled down slightly for street use, and cast in aluminum instead of tig'd. More TQ and HP everywhere. EAPro simulations absolutely loved this intake.

It was a Gen 1 ProFlo kit from several years ago, that was on clearance because no one bought them, and Eddy discontinuing them. I don't believe the intakes were ever available seperately. I bought a Holley Commander 950 TBI kit for about the same price at the same time because Eddy never made a small block mopar version at all.

ProFlo's out there now are Gen 2 ProFlo, and use a typical single plane like a Victor with injector bungs.

He hand welded all the exhaust and intake plumbing. He took a class at the local college, and is a structural welding research supervisor. Really did a great job.

Thanks for the kind words all. I got the truck from my Dad several years ago and have had a great time with it. Somewhere along the way it went from a Lowe's wagon to a science project, D$ put the best pics I have in the thread already... I'll grab some more when we get the trans out and see just what came apart.

I wasn't originally planning on the Eddy intake, but when I spotted it (while shopping for turbo swap stuff) I was hooked. I'm most surprised by how responsive it was everywhere. They may still have a few in stock, but I'm not sure I can recommend the whole EFI package. Their tuning software/ECU package just sucks. The other upside, it's not any taller than most 'performance' intake + holley/Quad-J/14" filter set ups. Unless you're really tight on head room, it'll proly work.

We had it running pretty well at ~12psi when the trans let loose. On paper (let the bench racin begin...) that's 650ish hp... Not sure I care what the real number is, it sounds like a million tornadoes trying to eat through the hood at full boogie, I'm calling it a success :)

I was hoping to drop a 3.23 gear set in it and shoot for something in the 11's. At the track last fall I made a 13.4@106 NA, then hit it with a decent shot (in 3rd gear) and ran 12.9@107 on the rev limiter for a good part of the top end. Gear and another ~100hp might be good for a second?

Thanks again for the feedback gang, you're making my day!

Jeremy

Sweet setup....looks well executed.
Cant wait to hear/see more about it....sorry to hear about the transmission....thats hot roddin'.

:burnout:

Nice!Anytime I see pics like the trans shredding,I look!Horsepower means mayhem!I likey!

-
Back