Turbo Action full manual valve body issue.

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
After installing the valve body the car will not move in reverse with out hitting the throttle. Also it slips in first leaving from a stop sign (like a neutral drop). It revs to about 1500 and smashes into gear chirping the tires

Called turbo action and they said since I bought it used there could be a check ball missing in the reverse circuit?

Anything else I can check while its still in the car?

Plan on putting the old VB back in this weekend to make sure its not the trans.

If you have a stock valve body, put it in for testing purpose. If that fixes it, send T/A the V/body to have it repaired.
Also make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. I had trouble with a used T/A v/body, I bought a new T/A to replace it.

I just install a used TA FMVB in mine today, it seems fine, did you re-adjust the bands??

I just read that I am suppose to check the fluid in neutral. Don't have the car here to check it. How would checking the fluid in park alter the reading. Too low or high?

Found it

"Actually the torqueflite drains the converter when in park(more accurately, it doesn't fill the converter fully), which is why the owner's manual states to run the trans through the gears and check the level in neutral. When it's in park, the fluid will show higher than in neutral. So if it's at the full mark in park, guess what-it's low when you're driving."

Mopars will pump fluid when in neutrel. This is when yoo should check your level. I always start mine in neutrel to get the fluid pumping ASAP.

Check the forward band too, i set mine at 3.3/4 turns out, stock VB it was set at 3 turns.

Forward band set, fluid full, checked front servo port 105 in 3rd at 1800 rpm (line pressure port was at 3lb ask me how I know) Thanks Paul at Turbo Action for putting up with me.

Still doing the same thing. I will swap the valve bodies tomorrow (That's what I get for buying a used valve body) ](*,):puke::wave::wave:$$$$$$$ :burnout:

After dumping my now silver trans fluid, installing old valve body, and 6 helacoils for the pan. It finally moves. The person I bought the valve body from wont return my emails. Turbo action wants me to send it to them. Not sure what to do?

Yea, send it to Turbo Action. It will be cheaper than buying a new one. Now as far as the DEADBEAT that you bought it from, your probably on your own.

Talked to Paul at Turbo Action and he is going to clean it up for me. He said more than likely the guy blew up his tranny and the metal shavings are causing the valves to stick

You should look to see if the pressure relief valve is stuck. that's the valve with the larger spring at the left front of the valve body. If your fluid is silver it probably came from that valve body. If you don't feel comfortable splitting it open yourself I'd send it back to T/A but it sounds to me like it's trashed.

Send it to Paul, he is by far one of the honest ones out there in the market anymore, i had an issue with a "new" VB that i bought, i talked with him, he said send it in, we were on the phone for a good hour while he had the VB in his hands, he was stumped as to what it could be, but he kept checking every possible area, as he was tearing it down, he finally said let me check one last thing, & "bingo", he found a nice 2" crack, it wasn't on my end i assured him, he said i beleive you, he thinks it must of happened in the machining process & was missed through inspection some how, he sent me a brand new one.

EBAY MEMBER robertce
This auction is for a Forward Pattern Cheetah Manual Valve body. It is a Turbo Action #17675 and it fits Mopar 727 and 904 Torqueflite automatic transmission. I bought it new and used it for just a few 1/8 mile passes. Since then, I have installed a reverse pattern shifter in my car and an A+A transmission that has their reverse pattern valve body in it, therefore I no longer need this one. I have the instructions that came with it and it is guaranteed to be exactly like new. These cost $285 from Summit Racing Equipment.

Guaranteed HUH.............

...............On some years u have to drill a hole to vent the case............kim....

Not for the T/A valve body you don't. The old seperator plates and transfer bodies that you could get from Direct Connection back in the day you had to though.

What to do with the Turbo Action valve body? Get it fixed and sell it. Call Steve Griner and buy the best valve Body on the planet. Turbo Action is'nt bad, it's just 70's & 80's technology. griner builds billet valve body using todays technology. I have much experience with both and will never buy Turbo Action again. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

EBAY MEMBER robertce
This auction is for a Forward Pattern Cheetah Manual Valve body. It is a Turbo Action #17675 and it fits Mopar 727 and 904 Torqueflite automatic transmission. I bought it new and used it for just a few 1/8 mile passes. Since then, I have installed a reverse pattern shifter in my car and an A+A transmission that has their reverse pattern valve body in it, therefore I no longer need this one. I have the instructions that came with it and it is guaranteed to be exactly like new. These cost $285 from Summit Racing Equipment.

Guaranteed HUH.............

If you paid the guy through Paypal I would put in a dispute.

I bought a used 727, reverse, cheeta. Trying to figure it out, called Paul Forte.
An half hour of knowledge. No"bring it in and we will check it out"

I am amazed, as he knew I live about 45 minutes away from his shop.

-
Back