Turbo Charged Dart Question

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I am working on gathering some information about turbo charging a 70-72 Dart. My question or concern is finding a place to mount the intercooler that will get ample air flow and not block the radiator in the process. I found this orange dart online that has had the bumper cut open to allow more airflow in through the front valance. Do you guys think that would be enough airflow through the valance to avoid heat soak and keep the engine happy ?
6228553A-306E-4892-A450-518A6E925ABB.jpeg

Yes that amount of airflow will be fine. You are overthinking this. Consider the amount of time you are adding heat in to an intercooler. With a turbo, on a street car, you are only hard the on throttle on boost for seconds at a time. At the very most 20 seconds or so. Duty cycle is low. Drag race is similar. Road or open course racing is a different animal, duty cycle there is much, much higher and other things need to be considered. For a low duty cycle situation the off boost time is high and the intercooler is not doing much and most good aftermarket air to air intercoolers flow lots of air through them. Focus your attention on building an oversized and well thought out cooling system and stick the intercooler right in front of it.

Yes that amount of airflow will be fine. You are overthinking this. Consider the amount of time you are adding heat in to an intercooler. With a turbo, on a street car, you are only hard the on throttle on boost for seconds at a time. At the very most 20 seconds or so. Duty cycle is low. Drag race is similar. Road or open course racing is a different animal, duty cycle there is much, much higher and other things need to be considered. For a low duty cycle situation the off boost time is high and the intercooler is not doing much and most good aftermarket air to air intercoolers flow lots of air through them. Focus your attention on building an oversized and well thought out cooling system and stick the intercooler right in front of it.

I appreciate the info. I am only planning on running a single turbo on the motor, so what you said makes alot of sense.

You’re welcome. Just remember airflow is airflow. Doesn’t matter if it’s twins a single or 8 turbos. Duty cycle and intended use is what is important. In drag racing we run air to water intercoolers for the ability to lower intake temp below ambient air temp for a very short time. In our road race stuff we run air to air intercoolers for much more consistent air temps over long term high load, high duty cycle situations. It’s all application dependent. Pick up any book by Corky Bell. I’ll recommend this one,
A42590A0-9F4B-4B3B-9BD9-A2E4356EE5F5.png

Although it is about supercharging, (which turbocharging does just a different way) there is a LOT of valuable information in it.

I have a 3" thick core set between the grill and radiator on my 73 Duster and my electric fan has no problem pulling a strong air flow through the assembly when parked. Coolant temps peak at 170 and my intake air temps in the hat are 160.

IMG_20210214_155210.jpg

i wonder if your lack of inner fenders helps keep temps down?

That was a new thing from the past winter when I found it all the stich weld were broken and not providing any additional structure to the body so they were removed. Doesn't hurt that it helps with weight reduction on the front end as well.

The past 3 years of summer driving I haven't had any issues with temps during 35 deg Celsius days and drag racing weekends with back to back passes all day. Never had any issues with hot lapping the car.

-
Back