Turbo for a 318?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I work at a warehouse that sells/distributes auto parts. We also recieve engines in need of a rebuild or need to be junked. Sititng out back is a cummings straight six. I know nothing about these but the single turbo is still connected. Form what I have been told this motor is junk. I know very little about turbochargers let alone one on a old V8 such as a 318, but what would it take for it to work? Probably be a big job. But still curious. Are these worth anything? I may be able to just take it for free. I would have to see what the situation is for it. Does anyone here have a turbocharged small block.

Thanks

i would bet that the CTD turbo is WAY to big for a 318 of any type

I have had this page saved for a while now.

Tom

http://www.wardracingenterprises.com/index.html

Interesting. I see the turbo but what is the large black thing behind it? Keep in mind about the only think I know about these is they run off of exhaust gas. What is all the tubing for other than the intake. Is the tube pointing down just for outside air?

I happened to come across this ad from ebay. It a small block exhaust manifold for a turbo setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks for the link.

The turbo is 2 parts, the exhaust side and the charge side. They are both similar, with a shape somewhat like the shell of a snail. Exhaust goes into the wide section of the exhaust side, and tapers down, spinning the impeller and exiting the housing. The impeller spins a common / shared shaft, that turns a similar impeller on the intake side, that draws the air in the inlet, compresses the air, with forces it out the outet.

The black that you are seeing is the exhaust housing.
Search AnotherA on here, he has an Awesome build with pictures.

That manifold is awesome. I wilsh I had a hundred bucks, cause that could come in very handy later.

Using that manifold, the exhaust from the other side would be routed over to that manifold, and join in from underneath, and the turbo would sit up top.
It looks like it would be best on a truck for hood clearance.

That manifold is awesome. I wilsh I had a hundred bucks, cause that could come in very handy later.

Using that manifold, the exhaust from the other side would be routed over to that manifold, and join in from underneath, and the turbo would sit up top.
It looks like it would be best on a truck for hood clearance.

Thanks for all the great info. I was always thinking a single turbo was used with one manifold/header but all the pictures I have seen had tubes coming from both sides. This makes sense now. I also looked at the thread from "AnotherA" amazing pictures. Looks like quite a task. Lots of fabrication!

-
Back