turbo question

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
i have a 5.7 hemi and am thinking about installing a set of twin turbos on it. i found a screaming deal on a set of twins, and want to know if you guys think that they will work for my application. here are the specs on them.

they are garrett T04B turbos
Intake: 3 inch
Inlet: 2 inch
Compressor trim: .60ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 53.90 /69.31
Turbine Wheel diameter: 63.98 /73.89
Exhaust Trim: .96ar
Turbine flange type:T4 flange

included is the t4 flages and boh exhaust gaskets, the turbos do not have wastegates. they are said to be bairly used. and were a little too small for a 557ci motor and they will support 500hp each.

now i will have to tone them down a little because i can only push 8psi on the stock pistons, but want to know if its possable to get 1000hp out of them with a built motor. what about turbo lag, a little is fine but i want them to come on quick are they too big for my setup or will they be ok. tanks for the advice and want to pick them up this week if i can. tell me what you think.

i have a 5.7 hemi and am thinking about installing a set of twin turbos on it. i found a screaming deal on a set of twins, and want to know if you guys think that they will work for my application. here are the specs on them.

they are garrett T04B turbos
Intake: 3 inch
Inlet: 2 inch
Compressor trim: .60ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 53.90 /69.31
Turbine Wheel diameter: 63.98 /73.89
Exhaust Trim: .96ar
Turbine flange type:T4 flange

included is the t4 flages and boh exhaust gaskets, the turbos do not have wastegates. they are said to be bairly used. and were a little too small for a 557ci motor and they will support 500hp each.

now i will have to tone them down a little because i can only push 8psi on the stock pistons, but want to know if its possable to get 1000hp out of them with a built motor. what about turbo lag, a little is fine but i want them to come on quick are they too big for my setup or will they be ok. tanks for the advice and want to pick them up this week if i can. tell me what you think.

I have used the T04s a few times on different motors. They are good for 400 each roughly, but there is more to that. It seems that they work great in a twin scenario on a mid 300 inch motor. Camshaft and static compression will influence lag the most. I say they will work good on your car with it being a 5.7 liter.

That .96 exhaust A/R has me a bit worried as far as the lag is concerned. That set-up would be great to get boost but not a large amount of boost. The large exhaust A/R is meant to spool then hold with that small compressor A/R. I will be going with a .75 compressor A/R and a .60 exhaust A/R to get quick produced high boost.

That .96 exhaust A/R has me a bit worried as far as the lag is concerned. That set-up would be great to get boost but not a large amount of boost. The large exhaust A/R is meant to spool then hold with that small compressor A/R. I will be going with a .75 compressor A/R and a .60 exhaust A/R to get quick produced high boost.

I am sure that Turbodart68 "Chris" made 911RWHP using the turbo's mentioned that he commented on with a W2 Headed 340CI Engine.....

MD how much boost do you know? My motor makes aprox 470 flywheel so a set of twins should help it out I am wondering how much hp I'll have with only running 7psi.......

MD how much boost do you know? My motor makes aprox 470 flywheel so a set of twins should help it out I am wondering how much hp I'll have with only running 7psi.......

6-700 should be close. Be sure you address the fuel delivery!!

He told me 13lbs of Boost it made 911RWHP with a 340CI W2 Headed Motor..............you would trip out on the internals of that engine also no high dollar 4340 parts either and a Stock Block to boot!

Chris can explain the combo when he show's up!!

Hey Chris where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuu???

He told me 13lbs of Boost it made 911RWHP with a 340CI W2 Headed Motor..............you would trip out on the internals of that engine also no high dollar 4340 parts either and a Stock Block to boot!

Chris can explain the combo when he show's up!!

Hey Chris where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuu???

I'm pretty sure something was different than posted above...wouild require quite a bit more turbocharger than stated to make those kind of #'s at such low boost #'s...unless someone was doing some major trick tuning.

I'm pretty sure something was different than posted above...wouild require quite a bit more turbocharger than stated to make those kind of #'s at such low boost #'s...unless someone was doing some major trick tuning.

I don't have the Particulars.............

6-700 should be close. Be sure you address the fuel delivery!!

don't have one of those so it will get addressed. Gotta get the motor in and turbos done first. Then I'll hunt down injectors and fuel pumps and stuff

picked up the twins today. now its time to get other parts ordered. Gotta get the motor installed before I can even think about installing the turbos though. I cant even work on it for the next 2 weekends gotta earn some money (working on moder hemi trucks to make them faster)

The combo that made 911 had T-60s on it. The T04s that I have run have the .96 exhaust housing and had the H-3 compressor wheel. I have also run the exhaust A/R .68. People told me that I would have a lot of trouble spooling the .96 but I really noticed very little difference. With 16 pounds on our latest T04 adventure made just over 700 to the wheels. All combos are different and depending on intercooler and the base motor your results will vary widely. Hell I even had a turbo motor flop using the same set up I used for years but ran a bigger cam and lower compression and it made 300 to the tires! What a POS! Okay enough on that your combo sounds ripe for some boost so even though the compressor housing A/R is on the small side I think it will spool up quick but hold you back in power numbers. If the turbos are a good deal and are new or in excellent shape I say run them and that will give you a very good look into how your going to need to change them to get what you want.

well I got them for 400 (200 each)they only have dyno time on them and look brand new. I can send them in to garrett to be rebuilt if needed. my couzin has a really close friend that works for garrett. And he said he would rebuild them. So if they end up being junk I'll do that. But there is no shaft play in them and they spin freely by hand. They seem to be fine when I looked at them. I'm only going to run 7psi for now. Because the stock bottom end can't handle more than that. I have a 214/214 duration cam with about .556 lift (at the valve) on a 112 lsa installed on an icl of 105. The factory heads have been ported and polished. Compression is 9.6. And the motor makes 370 to the wheels in a ram. With about 25% driveline loss. So I figure I'm close to 460 flywheel. So even at 7 psi if I can net 50% power increase (assuming the ruel of thumb that 14 psi doubles power output) that should put me at 690 or so. (hopeing to see 650 to 700) does this sound reasonable or am I far off?

well I got them for 400 (200 each)they only have dyno time on them and look brand new. I can send them in to garrett to be rebuilt if needed. my couzin has a really close friend that works for garrett. And he said he would rebuild them. So if they end up being junk I'll do that. But there is no shaft play in them and they spin freely by hand. They seem to be fine when I looked at them. I'm only going to run 7psi for now. Because the stock bottom end can't handle more than that. I have a 214/214 duration cam with about .556 lift (at the valve) on a 112 lsa installed on an icl of 105. The factory heads have been ported and polished. Compression is 9.6. And the motor makes 370 to the wheels in a ram. With about 25% driveline loss. So I figure I'm close to 460 flywheel. So even at 7 psi if I can net 50% power increase (assuming the ruel of thumb that 14 psi doubles power output) that should put me at 690 or so. (hopeing to see 650 to 700) does this sound reasonable or am I far off?

I think your spot on, except the power loss in the drivetrain. I think 15% if you are using a 3 speed auto. I dont have any experience with the late model Hemi stuff so I cant comment on that. I do know that you are going to need some very big wastegates because keeping the flow down at 7 psi is going to be tough. You will experience boost creep when the gate is wide open but cant bleed off enough exhaust pressure when the motor is at speed. A turbo is a pretty simple piece, so if it has no shaft end play and it turns smoothly then run it.

do you think that a 44mm wg (per turbo)will be enough? That's what I'm looking at currently. And a 50mm bov

do you think that a 44mm wg (per turbo)will be enough? That's what I'm looking at currently. And a 50mm bov

The car we had the boost creep had 40mm Tials on it and it was 355 inch. I use Turbonetics Delta gates before and didn't have the creep. The placement of th wastegate is also a big consideration. Sometimes you wont have a choice of where you put them. With a big block you will have more exhaust flow and for a given size turbo you will have to run a bigger gate. I think the 44mm is a good size but if you try to turn it down below 10 psi you may see some creep.

the problem I have is that I gotta keep it at 7-8psi until I can build a better motor. That won't be until about a year after the car is done. So hopefully I can get it to hold until then. Then it will be time for 20 psi, or as much as possible with the turbos I have.

-
Back