Turbo questions, help

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello,
I am thinking of getting one of these universal turbo kits off ebay. T3/T4
I have a 225 /6 fresh rebuild .030 over, other than that stock. with 2brrl
This is for my daily driven Vailant, no racing, just for fun and a little extra power. Just to be different.
Questions.

1. Does anyone know of any books that can explain all about turbos?

2. Can I turbo a fairly stock engine, without any major issues?

3. Do I need a 4 brrl? Will my 2 brrl carb be suffiecient?

4. Will I have any driveability issues? Run rough not worth doing turbo?

5. Should I have rebuilt the engine with different or special pistons?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello,
I am thinking of getting one of these universal turbo kits off ebay. T3/T4
I have a 225 /6 fresh rebuild .030 over, other than that stock. with 2brrl
This is for my daily driven Vailant, no racing, just for fun and a little extra power. Just to be different.
Questions.

1. Does anyone know of any books that can explain all about turbos?

2. Can I turbo a fairly stock engine, without any major issues?

3. Do I need a 4 brrl? Will my 2 brrl carb be suffiecient?

4. Will I have any driveability issues? Run rough not worth doing turbo?

5. Should I have rebuilt the engine with different or special pistons?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Not sure of any books so hopefully someone can help ya out there, but you can google some info about turbos and you should be able to find some useful stuff.

2. I would think that stock slant 6 internals would be able to run a decent amount of boost but the couple of people on here that have them will be able to tell ya exactly how much.

3. I only know about 4 cyl turbo dodges but I believe that the carbs have to be modified to work. You will probably need a 4 barrel though because your fuel system is going to have to keep up with the air flow. If you can't flow enough fuel, you'll run lean and burn things up, not good.

4. Turbos are actually really street friendly as they dont make boost until the engine starts to rev, so they can be almost as street friendly as a stock engine. All in how you drive them. :-D

5. Turbo engines don't like compression so much... so you will probably have to get some lower compression pistons. Don't know exactly which ones, but someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry I couldn't help a whole lot, but hopefully I did a little bit. After you get everything built and running though, make sure you tune and really watch your air/fuel ratio... bad things happen if ya dont pay attention, haha.

Went and looked at the picture thread and Turbo66valiantand Shaker223 look like the guys to talk to about turbo slants... but I'm sure that anyone in that thread that has a turbo car will be able to help ya out.

OH, and do NOT buy one of those ebay turbos. It may work for a little while, but it's the kind of thing where you get what you pay for. Save the money to buy a quality turbo along with all of your other parts. I've heard nothing but bad from e-bay turbos. :read2:

Thanks.
Lowering compression was one I hadn't thought of.

Thanks.
Lowering compression was one I hadn't thought of.

You'd be lucky to have 8:1 compression on a stock slant. They are notoriously low, just pefect for boost. Only problem is the pistons are cast so you have to be careful with detonation. The pistons are pretty beefy, but still something to watch for.

Only thing Shaker223 did was better valve springs, just stock 340 springs as I recall.

Go to Slantsix.org and search for the guys listed above, Turbo66valiant and Shaker223, both have done exactly what you are asking about.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend a 2 bbl for the street. With a 4 bbl you can run lean enough in the primaries off boost to make the car driveable, and rich enough in the secondaries with boost to live. A 2 bbl needs some external kind of way to enrich the mixure under boost to work. Maybe a 2 bbl nitrous plate with just fuel and a switch to open the solenoid when it sees boost, never seen it done, though.

A stock slant 6 will hold up fine. Driveability is not affected by a turbo. MPG is only affected by how much you push the pedal. not a lot of gear is needed. I started with a stock 87 GN turbo and worked my way up. the stock ex manifold will work fine. Just need to build a header pipe and mount the turbo. A holley 350cfm or 500cfm will work fine. Not sure about stock units. Build boost slow to make sure your AFR are right. Under WOT you want to shoot for 11.5:1 AFR.

CR from 8.0 to about 9.2 should be fine. As said before, I only shimmed the 340 springs (.090"). I also oring'd the block and added head studs because of the boost levels I was running.

A stock slant will live nicely under low boost situations 12psi or less.

Thats cool.
btw that is one of my favorite videos on youtube.

I had a local shop build my motor. (I was too busy) they updated my springs, but I don't know what they used....

-
Back