Turbo slant six post

-

player1up

Reaction score
This post will chronicle my turbo adventure and hopefully help anyone crazy enough to follow suit. I decided to start the post now so as I go along I wont forget anything and so no one has to wait :)

I have a few goals and any project will suffer greatly if those goals change along the way or if they are unknown to begin with, so:
1. keep it simple stupid, drivability and simplicity is a MUST after all the wife will drive it eventually. With this in mind I will be sticking to a low boost application 5-8lbs. Any more than that I’d be looking at fuel injection and a host of other modifications that would cause the project to be too expensive
2. low cost. I’m trying to keep the cost far below the cost of a V8 swap.
3. All of the modifications MUST be reversible. I plan on keeping the stock ex manifold and just swapping carbs and fuel pump.
4. Roughly the same if not better HP as a 318 for mid 70’s. This shouldn’t be too difficult as the HP/torque rating for a 73 318 is 150/265 respectively – from mymopar.com

References:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/turbo-article/turbo-article.htm
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/20.shtml
http://www.gpopshop.com
http://www.craigslist.org
http://www.ebay.com
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

a little program called TurboCalc from http://turbofast.com.au

The above references are what I used to determine what kind of turbo would suit the engine and then I looked for what was available and what I could afford, in that order.
So, I needed a turbo that would spool quick enough to have boost by 2000 RPM and since the stock motor is done by 4000 RPM it doesn’t need to be huge

I intend to document and include all cost and items needed to complete the modifications.

Parts list to date:
1. Fuel pump $16-25 ( to modify for boost reference )
2. 2bbl carburetor $20-45( one that has solid plastic, nitrophyl, floats as hollow brass ones may crush under boost pressure )
3. TC05 turbo used on the 1.8L cordia ip to the 2.6L starion - $120 including the kit to rebuild. The kit was a little hard to find and the turbo might be a little under sized but I only plan on running 5-8lbs of boost.

Parts still needed:
Oil fittings/lines
Coolant lines ( water cooled turbo )
Exhaust piping
Compressor to carb piping

I’m currently waiting for the turbo rebuild kit to arrive and sourcing the exhaust stuff so I can get started on the “where is this thing going to fit” phase.

This is it for the first installment, stay tuned….

Subscribed!

Good luck with your build.

Sure sounds fun.

I think a TDo5 is gonna be downright too little, but good news is there are many variants of the TDo5 turbocharger, and IMO a TDo6 20g (not OEM on the Cordia, or Starions) would probably be the best turbo for a 225 /6.

Keep us posted!

Sounds like a fun project...as a fellow slanter I will keep an eye on this thread!

im subscribed, ive been thinking of doin something like this, i think it would definitely be very cool

Well I found a little mom and pop exhaust shop for my piping needs and as I'm describing what I'm trying to do, one of the guys says "hey, do want to take a look at the duster sitting out back?" Sure do...... so there it is 70-71 duster with 8 3/4 rear, 440 from a police interceptor with fender well headers, ralley dash ( or is it rallye or rally? I wish someone would tell me already/alreadey/alreadye :lol: ) , 4 speed and bucket seats.....and it's rusted to HELL. its for sale for a mere 3500.. but it seems that the guy behind the counter thought my idea was cool enough to give me a few feet of 2.25 pipe and a 2 bolt flange for $10, but I have more than enough stuff to get started.

Im listening! Heck you almost cant start a thread like this til' you have it half way done! We all want to see it NOW! LMAO

i have been debating a turbo slant toy for a couple yrs now.

you might want to check into going injected instead of carbed just food for thought

good luck duke

Good luck! I'm also in the "that turbo is too small" camp, but it depends on how hard you rev it. Probably better than the TE04H I used to have on my slant.

Great thread!

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is hands down the best "from scratch" turbo book.

You'll find it well worth the price. I paid less than $20 at Amazon.

Will be following your thread closely! Im not a six guy,but I might be jealous enough to twin turbo my 360. Been thinking of that since I got the book!

Turbo Slant 6s are neat. Good luck with your project.
This is my friends Honda CBX road race bike.
1047RR.jpg

BestExhaust.jpg

Man, CBX's are cool without turbos...

I spent some time this weekend "clocking" the center section of the turbo. That has to be done in order to keep the correct orientation of the oil outlet. The turbo I'm using has an internal waste gate but it too can be clocked to a different place as long as you keep the compressor and turbine housings in the correct relation to each other, and all I had to do was grind a small relief for the alignment pin on the compressor housing and remove the alignment pin on the exhaust.

Ok so here are the first pics of the project.

1st pic shows the center section and compressor housing with alignment pin.

2nd pic shows the turbine housing.

3rd and 4th pics show the adapter pipe that I'm making to mate the stock manifold to the turbo.

IMG00392 (Small)Wcomment.JPG

IMG00396 (Small)Wcomment.JPG

IMG00397 (Small).jpg

IMG00400 (Small).jpg

oh and incidentally I welded the turbo flange on 90* out so I had to cut and re-weld....measure twice cut and re-weld as necessary :lol:

Flight, see goal #1 :)

Matt, I'm just wondering if there is any coincidence... as my name is Matt as well..

This build will probably end up being like a stock turbo car, low boost with low HP but I'm trying to keep it simple and worry free.

Just be careful of runaway boost issues. Once my slant had a free flowing intake, I had serious trouble keeping the itty-bitty Mitsubishi turbo from bouncing off 10 psi of boost. At 1,500 RPM.

man my computer has been broken for about a week now. This project is looking good! Man I would love to do this. Can't wait to see the finished product.

player

i am am doing a turbo / blow through toy with a set of weber 45dcoe sidedrafts on a 4popper dakota is why i said that.

low boost or not the carbs will have to be jetted for under boost applications and it will run rich when off boost unless you get into spare injector to compensate (my solution) either way getting there is half the fun anyways lol.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dl1989/id6.html here is my pile of parts. if it helps you with any ideas

good luck duke :)

oh and incidentally I welded the turbo flange on 90* out so I had to cut and re-weld....measure twice cut and re-weld as necessary :lol:

Flight, see goal #1 :)

Matt, I'm just wondering if there is any coincidence... as my name is Matt as well..

This build will probably end up being like a stock turbo car, low boost with low HP but I'm trying to keep it simple and worry free.
At least if you get the base setup going, it'll be easier to upgrade in the future if you desire.

Damn, other projects keep getting in the way... like brakes and stuff, However in the midst of a nervous break down when I broke the bleader valve from the driver front caliper, ( ordered a new caliper and had to wait til Sunday to install ) I rebuilt the turbo..

Here is the short version. first pic is all disassembled, I managed to keep all of the parts even though it was apart for over a month. Second pic is the cause of death for turbos. Those little hole get plugged up with crap and the thing will obliterate itself in a matter of minutes (main bearing on this turbo was chewed as a result)

These are the pics I took with my phone, I'll post the good ones (complete rebuild) if any one wants them.

I would like to say thanks to Turbos_r_us (ebay seller). They got me the major kit for this turbo for $86 shipped to my door ! :thumbup:

IMG00407 (Small).jpg

IMG00416 (Small).jpg

It's fallen victim to real life stuff
No real progress to speak of. I have been gathering parts and info, but it seems my plan is conflicted. In my research I've come up with some questions about ignition timing that are not so easily answered. I'm kind of making myself wait til I have a wideband O2 setup to ensure that I don't blow up my daily driver. The further I get into it, the more pieces I uncover. I'll probably need another dizzy to swap in with an altered timing curve to keep it from detonating. but since it got brought up.
Things I still need to do:
modify spare fuel pump for boost ref.
tap oil pan for return.
modify spare carb.
clean the garage.
paint the house.
replace the water inlet valve on the fridge.
finish my MCDBA tests....
what were we talking about???

Try MSD6BTM with a factory type electronic ignition distributor for the under boost ignition issues.

-
Back