Turbo slanty project?

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
Well the kid and i have been discussing a slant to v8 swap 74' dart..(you might have seen the thread) Now he's thinking how about a turbo project. Might be a little more costly but definately more unusual. Not looking to build a race car but i know he's gonna want to be able to smoke some tire. He's been down to a local race shop that races grand nationals. If you're local to Lebanon Valley dragway you've probably heard of or seen at least one of their cars (Cottons performance.) They have a turbonetics t4 turbo that is slightly larger than the stock grand nash turbo for $300 that needs a rebuild. Son used to work for a fuel injection co that does a lot of turbo work so he may be able to get a deal. They told him the 225 would have plenty of power to run it and he wouldn't have to go to forged internals. We've been researching to see what we could learn. I know one of our members bill dedman has a pretty serious build. Not looking for that intense of a project. What are your thoughts...anyone working on something like this.... have you tried it...Is it ridiculous? Should we just stick to the v8 swap? Here's a shot of one of Cottons Grand nat's.

Attachments

• Cottons_Performance_Wheelie.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 352
Do it!!! :D

Turbos and slant sixes are a match made in heaven. They are right, if the turbo isn't much bigger that a GN turbo, the slant will run it just fine. If you keep the boost down you don't have to do anything to the internals whatsoever. I'd reccomend no more than 8 PSI with cast internals and 15 PSI if you have an early slant with the forged crank. I seriously reccomend ARP rod bolts though just for peace of mine.

If the engine in there is solid why not give it a shot. you can always go v8 later and maybe apply what you learn to it.

Id love to try and do one this way:

get an appropriate size turbo
make a manifold
build a holley using the hanger 18 instructions
epoxy a tube to the fuel pump vent hole to boost reference it(not the best way, wont take much more than 8 pounds before it blows the diaphram)
Lock out the distributor
Build a carb hat (because frankly those things are overpriced IMHO)
maybe a side mount intercooler.

Could be done on the cheap, you could also upgrade the fuel and ignition down the line for better drivability.

I once turbo'd a L6 for a grand total of $450, including the 409 stainless exhaust & muffler. It can be done on the cheap. The '73 Dart I did ran like a low-comp 340 at 10 psi and managed 23 mpg on the highway.

I used the Garret turbo from the '85-'89 Chrysler 2.2, 318 truck 2-bbl (exact specs elude me at the moment), referenced the stock-style fuel pump to boost (new fuel pump of course), and made a bonnet from a Mitsubishi carb hat from the '81-'83 2.6 minivan/New Yorker engine.

Mike

I'm worried that 62mm im looking at is going to be too big. any input and advice is greatly appreciated.

62mm will be fine the deciding factor is the exhaust housing I wouldn't go No larger then 68ar T4 that turbo will give you room to grow I have a 62mm with a 58ar T4 on my valiant but it's built for performance and tons of boost

-
Back