turbo stuff

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
so i started working for the diesel instructer at skool again tonight. we started talking and he has a turbo system sitting around waiting for me to put on my girlfriends subaru well i saw this other turbo sitting around he told me it is stock or at least a system built for a 360 mopar. it sucks thru the carb not pushes it thru. it is kinda wierd lol. it relocates the carb and has the turbo in between the carb and the intake manifold. doin this he said you dont have to change the carb at all or fuel pump stuff. the only draw back is if it backfires there are rubber lines in the intake that can get burnt/melted. has anyone heard of this system or what it could of came from? it is mostly aluminumn parts and is pretty oldskool lookin and would make a really nice adition to my new truck lol. i would put it on the scamp but have other turbo hopes for that lol

It sounds like a "draw through" versus a "blow through".
First and foremost, any forced induction system will need fuel system modifications to keep up with the additional fuel flow needed for forced induction. Not enough fuel = LEAN and lean under boost melts pistons.

Draw through is not as successful as blow through. The seals on the turbo take a beating as they are not USUALLY designed to withstand gasoline baths. Second, is backfires are BAD as you have abundance of fuel and air mixture sitting and pooling, plus trying to explode back through turbo and carb. Normally the positioning of the carb before turbo has the carb sitting lower then it would have on intake manifold which can lead to fuel puddling.

On a slower speed / torque based system, it would probably work ok, but high RPM is a little scary.

I'm betting it's off an 80's Buick. Just because it's draw through doesn't mean that fuel systems are not necessary, just less intensive. Roots blowers are draw through too but put a stock carb on top and you are sure to smoke a piston. He may have meant that boost referencing fuel pressure is not necessary, but that it. :)

ok so it would pbly be smarter to do it the more traditional way and go "blow thru"

Well, not necessarily. If it's already set up for an LA motor and you can get it cheap and has a Holley mounting pad, go for it. BUT!! There is so much involved in any turbo set-up that you would do well to pick up at least a couple books and start studying first. PM me and I'll give you some suggestions as to what books to buy, then come back and start asking questions and people here with more knowledge than me about this can answer your questions.

ok lol i gotta see how much he wants for it. he has just gave me plenty of parts like a full hydro clutch set up from a sb dodge truck lol so i bet it will be cheap for sure lol. i would be interested in more learning material tho i will pm you thanks all

-
Back