turn signal flash really slow ...

-

D.Coulter

67SuperFish
Reaction score
hello all, my 67 barracuda turn signals flash really slow, and the running light on the driver side works but the passenger side does not...weird.!!!!! I'm not sure why...any ideas ...oh yeah the flasher is new.
Thanks in advance.

hello all, my 67 barracuda turn signals flash really slow

The electrico mechanical flashers rely on bulb current draw to set the flash rate.

( Some flashers are designed for a specific draw so perhaps you got the wrong flasher)

Too much really slow.

Too little really fast.

Do you have the factory spec bulbs installed?

And just to be sure you replaced the flasher unit to the left of the ash tray.

The one by the e brake is the emergency flasher flasher unit.

Also one bulb out or in wrong (they only go in one way but the sheet metal socket can be forced...) will change the current draw.
Off the top of my head I beleive the bulb # is 1034A for the fronts, 1034 for the tail/brake/turn.

To begin diagnosing, test everything and take notes. Flashers, turn signal, and parking-tail lights. And if need be brake lights. The you can start to figure out relationships of what is not working and what is.

Bad grounds on the light sockets.

Clean all the ground wires everywhere. They tend to corrode just enough over 50 years that the electricity starts doing funny stuff.

Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

Corroded grounds > lots of resistance. The electricity is trying to find another way home... taking the slow route back to the battery.

Make sure you have at least 12.5 volts at your battery.

Have seen older batteries at 12 volts that have lost their push and fall on their face. Put in a new battery and things work amazingly well again.

☆☆☆☆☆

The heavy duty flasher is slower than the standard duty one.

Yes ^^^ the heavy duty flasher is the slower one.

When hooking up a small trailer to the standard relay car, the flashing will speed up from the added lights and wiring on the trailer, that situation needs the heavy duty flasher to slow it down.

☆☆☆☆☆

Here are the part numbers for E flasher and turn flasher.

E flasher 2196300 (Signal Stat 175)

Turn flasher 2584854 ( Tung Sol 223)

You can Google these numbers to find NOS or modern equivalent

The 67 barracuda saga continues, checked everything discussed on the post, thanks for the insight. However, I sent the day chasing down my issue. I thought its was a bad socket sooooo...i drill it out and replaced it with the dormen..thats was a job, but came out great...STILL DONT WORK RIGHT. When i ground the light it would be really bright but the turn sig. still wont work, remove the ground and the turn sig. works really slow.......i did some more research, could it be the turn signal switch in the column?

Let's be sure you are seeing the lights you think you are.

The brake lights should be bright.
The parking / running lights should be dimmer.

The turn signal and e flashers interrupt the brake lights to make the flashing so your turn signal lights should be bright not dim.

As for attaching a ground wire to the bulb socket and the turn signal stops flashing but the bulb becomes brighter says to me you have a bad ground there at a minimum.

There are other grounds that need to be attached for the turn signals to work properly. The front light harness is one of them.

I had my grill off and then noticed my turn signals would not flash the rear bulb would light but not flash.

Just some thing to investigate.

And yes a bad turn signal switch or bad connector can have all kinds of issues.

Ok , so maybe i need to check the ground under the dash by the steering column.
Taillights work properly

Ok , so maybe i need to check the ground under the dash by the steering column.
Taillights work properly. I went ahead and ordered a sig. Switch as that is the only bit of wire that has not been replaced...i looked at it prior to install and it look ok to me...did not pay alot of attention to the sig switch ,i this resolves the issues....

hello all, my 67 barracuda turn signals flash really slow, and the running light on the driver side works but the passenger side does not...weird.!!!!! I'm not sure why...any ideas ...oh yeah the flasher is new.
Thanks in advance.

Two things that might help.

1. The electronic flasher (like for led’s) flash at the same speed no matter what the load is.
They don’t even slow at idle like the factory style.

2. When I ran a separate ground wire from the sockets themselves to the body everything straightened up.
Sometimes the sockets themselves loose their ground to the lens housings.

1. The electronic flasher (like for led’s) flash at the same speed no matter what the load is.

2. When I ran a separate ground wire from the sockets themselves to the body everything straightened up.
Yes Sir, I agree to that ....the new replacement socket (Dorman 85860) I used has a tab for grounding, so I ran a separate wire just to eliminate that possibility.
I really thought it was going to be the sockets, because I am getting power at the plug on the wiring harness. but when I hook it all together it does not function properly. Apparently, I'm missing something here. The turn sig. switch in the column is 57 years old what are the odds this could be the issue. The flashers, turn sig. / hazard has been replaced both are new.

Last edited:
It is possible obviously that it could be the signal switch itself since multiple light functions run through it.

The problem is that with aftermarket parts you could easily have worse or other problems unless you get OE parts.

Personally I would eliminate every other possibility first.
Ground the actual socket of every light involved.
Then if that didn’t do it I would replace the flasher unit with an electronic one.

THEN I would open the column and contact test it by connecting the corresponding points.
Basically jumping the contacts with a jumper wire.

Some people aren’t up to it, some are.
Some throw parts at it until it works, and that’s fine as well.
It’s just not how I do things.
I start with the simplest explanation first and work my way through until I find the problem.

Knowing that these cars are notorious for ground issues, that’s what I always verify without question first.

It is possible obviously that it could be the signal switch itself since multiple light functions run through it.

The problem is that with aftermarket parts you could easily have worse or other problems unless you get OE parts.

Personally I would eliminate every other possibility first.
Ground the actual socket of every light involved.
Then if that didn’t do it I would replace the flasher unit with an electronic one.

THEN I would open the column and contact test it by connecting the corresponding points.
Basically jumping the contacts with a jumper wire.

Some people aren’t up to it, some are.
Some throw parts at it until it works, and that’s fine as well.
It’s just not how I do things.
I start with the simplest explanation first and work my way through until I find the problem.

Knowing that these cars are notorious for ground issues, that’s what I always verify without question first.
Hello, here is the latest on the lighting issues. I grounded each socket as suggested, the parking lights immediately started working. However, still no turn sig. The taillight turn signals works. The flashers work

Here

Heres a question, the black wire w/white tracer connected to the header panel is a ground. But, is it the grounds for all lighting function or just for the turn sig.

Here

Heres a question, the black wire w/white tracer connected to the header panel is a ground. But, is it the grounds for all lighting function or just for the turn sig.

Actually that I don’t know for sure, but it sounds like it.
That would be a body ground.
Are you saying everything works now except the front signals?

If so, now check the connectors for those with a test light all the way back to and including the firewall junction block (bulk head connector)

A lot of times just unplugging and re plugging the connections can solve issues.

There are people on here that know way more about the wiring than I do.
Maybe our conversation will prompt someone to chime in with more ideas.

Actually that I don’t know for sure, but it sounds like it.
That would be a body ground.
Are you saying everything works now except the front signals?

If so, now check the connectors for those with a test light all the way back to and including the firewall junction block (bulk head connector)

A lot of times just unplugging and re plugging the connections can solve issues.

There are people on here that know way more about the wiring than I do.
Maybe our conversation will prompt someone to chime in with more ideas.
Ok, ill check it all the way to the fire wall connection and give the up date...thanks again

THIS JUST IN::::::BIG shout out to traibeast and dana67dart for insight and direction with my turn sig. / parking light issue. It has been resolved....some how i crossed up the polarity causing the running light 1157 on (R) side to light up the wrong filament and the (L) side to have the correct filament on....but, i still would have not found that if i did not do some grounding work...other words i re-did all the grounds in those circuits. Replaced both left and right sockets at the front of the car due to poor condition...WOW, what a goat roping.
Thanks again

some how i crossed up the polarity causing the running light 1157 on (R) side to light up the wrong filament
The bulbs are not supposed to be able to be inserted 180 deg out but thay can.

That will mess you up for sure!

Last edited:
The bulbs are not supposed to be able to be inserted 180 deg out but thay can.

That will mess you up for sure!
Its those cheesey dorman 85860, they wont be in for long. I will find a replacement set of lights . The contacts will come out , you have to be careful when connecting the wires.

Screenshot_20240303_135430_Samsung Internet.jpg

-
Back