Turn signal grounds...

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Have an intermittent problem with the front right turn signal. Sometimes it works fine, other times the right turn signal will only come on solid when activated (doesn't blink) with the head lights off. If you turn the head lights on, the signal lights come on at all times (doesn't matter what position the turn signal switch is in) but the front right signal is completely off. The rear signal light and dash light is on solid. Left turn signal operates fine in either situation.

I'm thinking its a ground issue, but I'm not sure where the ground is located. Its a 72 Dodge Demon.

You talking about the fender mounted indicators? Or the ones in the grill? The grill signals ground to the sheetmetal in front of the radiator. If you're not sure, follow the wires coming out of the back of the signal.

I had a similar problem and it was tricky to find but fixed it. The right turn signal bulb on the grill was solid or barely blinking when activated. It was so dim that you could barely see it light up.

I isolated the problem by testing the volts on the wiring harness right before it connected to the pigtail connection to the signal housing. So, first I turned the signal on and then checked for 12 volt spurts. It had a full 12 volts blinking on and off on the volt meter, so I knew that it then had to be something after that and in the pigtail.

After that I re-connected the wiring harness to the pigtail. Then took the bulb out and checked the voltage on the two metal pieces that the bulb is supposed to touch. It either registered a constant 12 volts or nothing, I don't remember.

When checking for volts in the socket, I forgot whether I had to ground the volt meter on the metal housing or the little prongs. Just trial and error. Since the left signal works, you could test that side until you get that momentary 12 volts on the meter as the signal is on and then repeat that for the other side so you know how to check it right. That's what I did.

In the end, I took it out and carefully cut that rubber insulation around the whole bulb housing pigtail and saw that the ground wire came loose!

Hope this helps!

-
Back