Turn signals quit

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
'65 Barracuda, turn signals quit. Brake lights work. But if I activate the turn signal the brake light on that side will turn off. My Dad says it's probably a fuse but looking at the fuse block there is no fuse marked 'turn signals.' Ideas? Thanks as always.

'65 Barracuda, turn signals quit. Brake lights work. But if I activate the turn signal the brake light on that side will turn off. My Dad says it's probably a fuse but looking at the fuse block there is no fuse marked 'turn signals.' Ideas? Thanks as always.

flasher or the sig switch

Sounds like your signal switch is probably working if you can get the brake light to turn off by activating for a left or right turn. Prime suspect is turn signal flasher, which is in a spring-metal holder clipped to the rear of the ash tray compartment in the dashboard.
I like to use the "electronic" flasher you can get at a parts store, an Ideal #EL-12 (or "EL-12C" is on a card instead of in a box).

Thanks for your advice guys I will throw a new flasher at it tomorrow and see what happens.

I tried a new EL-12 electronic flasher from Napa. It works well and I like the fact that it's loud enough for me to hear but it's also bigger and won't fit into the original holder next to the ash tray. Did I buy the wrong one or am I missing something here?

Not sure how it fits on other a-bodies, on my '65 it doesn't have a holder it just plugs into the connector it's wired to, there's plenty of space for it where it is behind the ashtray assembly which is held on by 3 screws.

Need them turn signals :tongue9: Don't ya just dig this sight :mrgreen:

Need them turn signals :tongue9: Don't ya just dig this sight :mrgreen:

You got that right brother, FABO gave me the answer I needed. I don't think many drivers today even know about hand signals I was using.

You got that right brother, FABO gave me the answer I needed. I don't think many drivers today even know about hand signals I was using.

So you was using the old bicycle and model A signals :mrgreen::toothy7::thumblef:

They should! It's part of our drivers test,and probably every drivers test. I've been having to use the left turn arm signal as my LF sig on the van is out..and Im glad people around here recognise it!

whoa!!! hand signals i sold my 31 essex coupe a little over year ago, i already forgot about the handsignals...

-
Back